What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HP 3par SAN Storage

Votes:

Hello

is there a sensor for HP 3par storage?

10x

hp latency san

Created on May 27, 2014 12:28:33 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi everyone,

this feature request has been converted into an official feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81144-sensors-for-hp-3par-storage-appliances

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle requests in the future. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 30, 2018 11:00:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 30, 2018 11:00:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

23 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid there a no native sensors for the 3par storages. You could try the new SSH SAN Sensors.
Otherwise, please check if HP offers any MIB-Files that you can import with our MIB-Importer to monitor the target then with SNMP Library Sensors.

best regards.

Created on May 28, 2014 10:07:51 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello! I was able to import 3Par MIB file and add it to library, however, when I try to create a sensor based on .oidlib library file I get the following message:

Sorry, the scan for available monitoring items has failed! No available interfaces on this device (code: PE049)

I got a second mib file, confirmed that it was the correct one, and got the same error. Any idea why?

Created on Dec 11, 2015 7:52:23 PM

Votes:

Can't promise anything, but I am working on something since we've purchased PRTG and also own 3PAR arrays.

Created on Dec 13, 2015 2:50:48 AM

Votes:

Hi,
Please download the SNMP Tester and load the oidlib file there. Now scan the target device. What results do you get?

Created on Dec 15, 2015 3:54:02 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

neuralfraud: Hello, I would also be very interested in this, as I have the same issue as [tsalgado] has.

Created on Dec 16, 2015 9:35:43 AM

Votes:

I am also interested in this topic. Are there any conclusions in the meantime because we are gonna using HP PAR 8200 ?

@ Pässler Support : Are there any Sensors planned for 3PAR Storage, because in Gartner Magic Quadrant HP 3PAR is a Leader ?

Thanks for any information.

Created on Feb 9, 2016 7:16:17 AM

Votes:

Hi,
Currently there are no dedicated sensors for HP 3PAR planned. However, your voice has been counted.
Best regards

Created on Feb 11, 2016 1:39:50 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am interested in 3PAR sensors as well

Created on Aug 20, 2016 6:26:41 AM

Votes:

I would also like this :) In the mean time does the SSH San Sensor work?

Created on May 29, 2017 8:34:13 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Sure, you can try our SSH SAN sensors: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/available_sensor_types#linux

Best regards

Created on May 29, 2017 11:01:10 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello. long time prtg user, I registered just to post this. Please add my vote for HP 3PAR support. thanks

Created on Jun 21, 2017 5:41:07 PM

Votes:

Hello, Please add my vote for HP 3PAR support too!! Best regards Wolfgang

Created on Aug 30, 2017 10:53:04 AM

Votes:

Me2, how many voices you need since the topic is already 3.5 years old?

Created on Sep 18, 2017 9:42:54 AM

Votes:

We appreciate your voices. Thank you for the feedback it is really important to us. Let me explain why such sensors haven't been implemented, why the voices weren't many enough so far. We have to balance the number of requests for a feature always against the total number of installations (200,000 of our software), and of course also necessary effort for development & testing. And then you naturally come to the conclusion that you need a lot more requests. I hope this is understandable.

Created on Sep 19, 2017 6:28:09 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have recently developed a sensor pack for 3PAR devices. It is currently being sold and deployed world wide. You can evaluate it for 30 days for free. See the link below: http://www.nms-guru.com/PRTG-Sensors-for-HPE-3Par.html

Kindest regards, Yigal

Created on Mar 6, 2018 12:52:28 PM

Votes:

@Torsten Lindner

Funny, it looks like for a third party there were enough votes around to create a sensor and sell it for $500. Maybe it's because PRTG wasn't doing anything in the past 4 years and 3PAR is just the market leader in this segment.

https://news.hpe.com/gartner-names-hpe-as-a-leader-for-general-purpose-disk-arrays

Created on Mar 28, 2018 3:02:59 PM

Votes:

We aren't disputing anybodies market share or relevance. Nor do we take feature requests for granted. There are 17 voices raised in this thread, 5 of which are responses from us ourselves. That leaves 12 user voices over the time of about 4 years. There are probably a few other KB-Topics to this, we aren't ignoring that. And then we'll put it into perspective of 200,000 installations of our software.
The relation then becomes much much smaller. Which means, only a few users would benefit from the work there. Again, this is not meant to take away that 3Par sensors would be useful for you. It's a question of overlapping market share too. Those storages tend to be used in large networks, whereas PRTG has its sweetspot rather in medium networks. That probably explains the discrepancy.
A lot of other sensor types have been implemented, reworked and improved in those 4 years (so it isn't really the case of haven't done anything). And a lot more users benefited from that. It is always about compromises, because nobody has an infinite amount of developers at their hands.

Created on Mar 29, 2018 9:04:08 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

we also have some 3par systems running and need a 3par sensor for monitor them in PRTG. So add my vote for an 3par sensor.

Created on Apr 20, 2018 9:39:23 AM

Votes:

Please add my vote for Some HPE 3PAR Sensores, too!

Created on Jun 11, 2018 10:20:02 AM

Votes:

I'll also add my voice for a 3par Sensor.

Created on Jul 20, 2018 4:25:31 PM

Votes:

I'm going to add my vote for 3PAR and also an editorial based on what I've read here.

Not every 3PAR admin is going to go to the trouble of creating a Paessler account, activating it, and then adding their vote when they are EVALUATING the efficacy of your solution. If you are basing development priority on the feedback in this forum, that's short-sighted. I like your product, I like that you engage with your audience, but have you considered that support for 3PAR would be a selling point? As stated, it is a market leader. It's the Mercedes C-class of storage, so for you to not support it seems very misguided in my opinion. We're evaluating PRTG but if it can't support our environment, we'll have to look elsewhere.

And since I can't upvote until I post at least 15 times, I want to thank Yigal for the third party add-on. If it works as advertised, I'll be happy to spend our company's money with them to get that functionality - provided PRTG is approved after I complete my assessment. If we can afford the 3PAR, we can pay for the sensor. Perhaps you should offer it as an add-on and enhance your revenue stream.

Created on Aug 7, 2018 9:27:19 PM

Votes:

Another request for HPE StoreServ/3PAR sensors. There is a WSAPI that you can call and grab metrics for. There is also a Service Processor that grabs telemetry from the array system and sends it to HPE that might be of service for this process as well.

StoreServ/3PAR is a pretty prevalent system with integrations built into pretty major applications like Veeam. It would be fantastic if we could get a supported sensor solution.

Created on Aug 24, 2018 11:42:06 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi everyone,

this feature request has been converted into an official feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81144-sensors-for-hp-3par-storage-appliances

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle requests in the future. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 30, 2018 11:00:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 30, 2018 11:00:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.