What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

NTP Clock on PRTG Dashboard/Map

Votes:

We would like to add two clocks to a map that show time at two different locations in the world.

Is it possible to add these clocks and point them at different NTP servers ?

Thanks

clock prtg sntp

Created on Jul 4, 2014 3:41:27 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This is an option that I got from PRTG support. I like this option best because the time is the PRTG server time and when the time no longer matches your time, you know that the map is stale and needs to be refreshed manually.

1. Create new html file named ServerTime.htm in path C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects

2. Edit Your Map, on the left there is now a group called Custom, inside is the time object, Drop this on your map.

Save and enjoy.

Feel free to hack on the html code to make the time look the way you want it to look.

(Code for file in #1)

<!—Custom: Time-->

<div class="map_object map_icon2 map_icon_large" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">;

background:-moz-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* FF3.6+ */
background:-webkit-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* Chrome 10+, Safari 5.1+ */
background:-ms-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* IE10+ */
background:linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* W3C */
text-align:left;
border:none;
width:145px;
height:28px;
padding-left:3px;
padding-bottom:3px;
padding-right:3px;
font-weight:900;
border-right:2px solid #fff;

">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<span><span style="font-size:20px"><#system type="time"></span>
</span>
<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

Created on Mar 29, 2016 7:59:14 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

You can insert a custom HTML object and i.e. create HTML code from sites like http://www.timeanddate.com/clocks/free.html

- Jens Tore Fremmegaard, ServerParkering AS, Paessler Certified Monitoring Professional -

Created on Jul 8, 2014 8:15:58 AM

Votes:

Thanks for the reply Jens.

We currently use www.timeanddate.com to display time and make sure the dashboard has not frozen.

One of the locations we use changes time zone regularly and currently we have to update the dashboard clock manually to reflect these changes. It would be great if we could point all the dashboard clocks to internal NTP servers. So the clocks update automatically.

Is this possible or could it be added as a feature ?

Thanks

Created on Jul 8, 2014 8:51:32 AM

Votes:

That sounds like something you would rather code yourself and implement through custom HTML object on the map.

You could always make a feature suggestion to the Paessler devs, but personally I'm not sure if there is a demand for such a feature.

PRTG has a very good API that allows you to create you own custom dashboards if the included map builder and custom HTML object doesn't give you exactly what you want or if you have multiple system you want to include in a single dashboard.

- Jens Tore Fremmegaard, ServerParkering AS, Paessler Certified Monitoring Professional -

Created on Jul 9, 2014 12:23:11 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This is an option that I got from PRTG support. I like this option best because the time is the PRTG server time and when the time no longer matches your time, you know that the map is stale and needs to be refreshed manually.

1. Create new html file named ServerTime.htm in path C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects

2. Edit Your Map, on the left there is now a group called Custom, inside is the time object, Drop this on your map.

Save and enjoy.

Feel free to hack on the html code to make the time look the way you want it to look.

(Code for file in #1)

<!—Custom: Time-->

<div class="map_object map_icon2 map_icon_large" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">;

background:-moz-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* FF3.6+ */
background:-webkit-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* Chrome 10+, Safari 5.1+ */
background:-ms-linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* IE10+ */
background:linear-gradient(top, #e0e0e0 0%,#cccccc 100%)!important; /* W3C */
text-align:left;
border:none;
width:145px;
height:28px;
padding-left:3px;
padding-bottom:3px;
padding-right:3px;
font-weight:900;
border-right:2px solid #fff;

">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<span><span style="font-size:20px"><#system type="time"></span>
</span>
<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

Created on Mar 29, 2016 7:59:14 PM

Votes:

Is there anyway to edit this HTM to have it pointed to a specific NTP server that is in my environment? Or multiple devices to see their current time?

Would really like a map to see all our network devices and their current time to make sure nothing is off

Created on Apr 28, 2017 3:43:15 PM

Votes:

@cvolz I replied to your question in the other thread since the topic is a bit different.

Created on May 1, 2017 10:22:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.