What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Sensors - PE008

Votes:

We have created a custom sensor and the .bat script file exists on the probe servers default EXE location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXE

The Script works and shows correct on PRTG for a few minutes then it starts displaying:

File not Found (code: PE008)

It does then for about 5 minutes then starts working again for a few minutes?

Why is the flapping and not working all of the time?

custom-sensor pe008 prtg

Created on Aug 6, 2014 4:18:55 PM

18 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
What version of PRTG are you using? Also, may I ask what the script does exactly (if possible please post the same here)?
Best regards

Created on Aug 7, 2014 2:05:54 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

The Script is for a reverse ping sensor. We need it to show an alert when it responds and OK when its down.

Script is a .bat file and its the following:

@echo off

ping -n 2 %1|Findstr /I /C:"timed out" /C:"host unreachable" > nul
if %errorlevel%==0 (echo 0:OK - Ping to %1 failed && EXIT /B 0) else (echo 1:Error - Ping to %1 successful - PCI Security Threat && EXIT /B 2)

The script works fine but PRTG just keeps dropping and says it cannot fine the file.

PRTG version: 14.3.10.2422

Adam

Created on Aug 8, 2014 9:09:36 AM

Last change on Aug 11, 2014 11:06:38 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,
The script looks ok to me. How much sensors using this script have you running?
Have you tried defining a Mutex on tab Settings of the sensor?

Created on Aug 11, 2014 11:08:25 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi,

I have just tried adding a mutex name but it keeps doing the same thing. It appears to work for 4 minutes then stop working.

I have uploaded a Image here so you can see: http://postimg.org/image/7c0v9syeb/

Adam

Created on Aug 14, 2014 4:37:51 PM

Votes:

Hi,
do you have any AV solution running on the machine the script is executed? If so, please try adding a exception for this particular script. Does that have any effect on the sensor?
Additionally, please try changing the scanning interval of the sensor to, e.g. 5 or 10 minutes and let it run for some time. What results do you get then?

Created on Aug 18, 2014 9:25:45 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I have just started to look at this again and we are having the same problem. Mutex is set, AV disabled on server running the remote probe and every 4-7 minutes it stops working giving an PE008 error for 4-7 minutes then comes back again.

During the period it shows the error if you try and create a new Custom EXE/SCript sensor and select the custom .bat or .ps1 file it actually missing from the list. I dont think its an issue with the script itself it just appears that PRTG no longer recognizes or is able to access the file.

Created on Nov 3, 2014 4:59:30 PM

Votes:

Hi,
Thank you for getting back to me. I will forward your case to our testing team and we will try to recreate your issue in our lab as we don't have seen this precise behaviour. At the moment I assume that this might be related to the structure of the scrip you are executing (resp. the used command). However, I will get back to you as soon as I know more.

Created on Nov 4, 2014 2:21:05 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has any progress been made on this? I'm having nearly the same issue. Custom EXE sensor (a small utility I wrote in C#) applied to approximately 40 servers. Works fine on around 35 of them, but returns the "file not found" error on the rest. I've tried with and without a Mutex, and with a scanning interval of one hour, with no change.

Thanks, James

Created on Dec 17, 2014 2:28:38 AM

Votes:

Hi, we are still testing this but so far were unable to recreate the issue. However, it might be that our admins found something here. Let me verify and I will get back to you.

Created on Dec 17, 2014 7:18:16 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi all,
could you forward your system logs to [email protected]?
When doing so, please refer to this thread. Thanks!

Created on Dec 17, 2014 1:51:33 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just uploaded the log files per your request. There was no way to refer to this thread using the "Send Logs to Paessler" function from within PRTG Administrator. I did separately e-mail support and reference this thread. Thanks.

Created on Dec 18, 2014 5:19:16 PM

Votes:

Thanks, the logs were received. I will forward them to our devs to have a look at the same.

Created on Dec 19, 2014 1:37:35 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

Created on Mar 20, 2019 11:26:42 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there was no solution found. Please note that this thread is from 2014.

What version of PRTG do you use? What are you sensor settings? What kind of Custom Script are you executing?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 21, 2019 5:27:16 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are using version 19 of the PRTG agent and are using a custom script to check the status of our Veeam Backups using PSx64.exe with a Powershell Script called 'PRTG-VeeamBRStats.ps1'. This check happens every 5 mins and alternates from and OK status to a PE008. We have this same setup running on various other servers in our environment with no issue.

Created on Mar 21, 2019 6:55:14 PM

Last change on Mar 22, 2019 5:13:43 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

That might be a guess in the blue, but do you run an AntiVirus System on the Probe Server that might prevent PRTG form executing the script?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 22, 2019 10:58:54 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Dariusz,

There is no antivirus installed on this machine.

Created on Mar 25, 2019 4:30:03 PM

Votes:

Could you check the process being executed using ProcMon, if it's accessing a folder that may not exist or a locked file, something like that? That's just an educated guess, though.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 26, 2019 12:26:31 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.