What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Scan Interval is longer than averages, showing dot

Votes:

What is this and how can i adjust, i have a page that shows 3 graphs, and 1 of them is dots, the rest are line graphs

graph graphs prtg

Created on Nov 3, 2014 1:53:28 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You could try to use the following option under Setup | System Administration | User Interface: To see if that changes anything about the graph. If not, only a higher interval will help here.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 1, 2018 8:47:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

15 Replies

Votes:

Dear bart2puck

Are you talking about the three graphs on the right-hand side? When the scanning interval is too sparse, PRTG draws dots instead of a continuous line.

Created on Nov 3, 2014 4:54:44 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please, always draws line!

Created on Nov 18, 2014 2:59:03 PM

Votes:

Dear MAA

We intentionally don't always draw lines because such graph would suggest the existence of data when there is no data.

While the always-line-option would look nicer, we decided to go for the accuracy.

Created on Nov 19, 2014 3:28:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The dots make the graph very hard to read.

• Our sensor data is generated every 10 minutes, so that's the interval we use
  • the Live Data graph shows a normal line graph with the area under it shaded
  • the 2-day view shows dots, which are hard to read
  • the 30 day view shows a normal line graph again

It makes no sense that only the 2-day graph is dots. I could maybe understand the live data, but it would still be hard to read (even harder actually)

Created on Jan 19, 2015 11:44:09 PM

Votes:

The way these particular graphs are displayed depends, on the one hand, on the scanning interval being used and, secondly, on the values defined for the graph in case under the administrative user interface settings. If the interval used for the graphs is shorter than the actual interval used for the sensors, the graph in case will be rendered using points rather than lines. In order to change this you would either need to change the scanning interval or adjust the graph settings (recommended).

Created on Jan 20, 2015 9:38:24 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I've looked around but don't see anything regarding lines/dots in the graph settings. Pointer please?

Created on May 19, 2015 3:59:49 PM

Votes:

Hello Kyle, could you please explain in more detail what exactly would you like to set regarding lines/dots in graphs?

Created on May 20, 2015 2:46:11 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 20, 2015 2:46:24 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Paessler support,

We ran into the same issue. Depending on the values shown in the graph, let's say the "character" of the data, it can be very hard indeed to interpret them, especially when they're scattered all over the place!

Suggestion: Would it be an idea to additionally draw thin vertical lines from the base of the graph to each of the dots, so it gives the impression of a filled area, but is at the same time a clear difference to the usual line graph, showing the intermitting character of the data?

Thanks in advance!

Created on Nov 11, 2015 4:50:55 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree that it can be useful, however I am afraid that there are no plans to add such feature. Any change in graph displaying would require a lot of effort of coding, in an already highly complex area of our PRTG code. Beside that, we can consider implementing features/ improvements that are a benefit for a large number of users.

Best regards

Created on Nov 13, 2015 8:57:05 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is important for me as well.

Created on Aug 15, 2016 5:34:03 PM

Votes:

This probably won't make its way into PRTG - sorry!

Created on Aug 16, 2016 7:43:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What is the maximum scan interval to show the graph?

Created on Oct 19, 2018 7:55:42 AM

Votes:

The maximum scan interval PRTG can show is either 1s or 10 days. They will appear either as line or dotted, depending on what's configured under Setup | System Configuration | Monitoring | Graph Settings. But you should not make the sensor interval depend on the way its displayed on the graph (as it will drive you nuts, probably ;) ). What sensor are we talking about here?

Kind regards,

Created on Oct 19, 2018 10:08:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Stephan,

I am trying to fiigure out how i can get the line showing instead of the dots when generating a monthly report. My sensors that scan every 10 minutes have a line for example, but the sensor that is running once per day is showing dots for a monthly overview, but a line for 120 days overview. So what scan interval should be configured to show a line in a monthly overview?

Created on Nov 1, 2018 7:40:35 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You could try to use the following option under Setup | System Administration | User Interface: To see if that changes anything about the graph. If not, only a higher interval will help here.

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 1, 2018 8:47:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.