What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature request for maps

Votes:

Currently we are using Cacti Weather maps just to give us a good network map of traffic speeds. Could you add a similar link speed display method to that of cacti weather maps? The built in ones in PRTG are much more clunky than that offered by the cacti add on.

Thanks

prtg traffic weathermap

Created on Jan 5, 2015 7:55:42 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

Dear tom

Thank you for using the PRTG Network Monitor.

PRTG is not the right tool for weather maps.

If you define the limits of the traffic sensors, you can use PRTG to discern three different weather states, Red, Yellow, and Green. The actual map must still be created manually.

Created on Jan 8, 2015 1:55:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne and Tom,

+1 for a feature request to get a view similar to the Network Weathermaps plugin for Cacti.

This is an example from their site: http://network-weathermap.com/manual/0.97b/images/weathermap-example.png

I currently have PRTG, but the view of that weathermap is so nice as a quick reference for traffic in each direction on a link.

Jason

Created on Apr 1, 2016 9:36:47 PM

Votes:

Dear jurkow

Thank you for your input. Getting suche maps is still not possible with the current PRTG architecture. We don't rule out to ever implement a weather-map feature, but currently we have no plans to do that.

Created on Apr 4, 2016 11:50:39 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would also like to add a vote for this feature. I'm looking for the closest way do this via PRTG, without installing Cacti and the Weathermap plugin. It would be great to have it built-in to PRTG and doesn't seem like it would take much extra to implement it.

The only features I need is:

1.) A map showing devices (map can be a simple jpeg background), with connected link lines to and from devices with link input and/or output specified in Mbps. 2.) Green, yellow, or red color for link lines based on utilization %. 3.) Hover over one side of a link to give a 24hr graph of utilization.

Thanks for the consideration.

Created on Aug 28, 2017 1:28:30 PM

Votes:

Dear willieb,

I agree even this simpler kind of weather map would be useful. We however work on other things at this moment, and have more plans for the foreseeable future.

The PRTG map is designed to work status-based, meaning even this simple´r type of weather-based connection lines cannot be added in an easy way. We see that there is some demand for options showing the current utilization in map and yes, it would nicely add into the current possibilities with PRTG maps.

Having a lot of user feedback to work with, we have to carefully decide what to address next. In the current state, we see higher demand for other features.

Created on Aug 29, 2017 1:28:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 29, 2017 1:29:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello everybody, +1 for a feature request to get a view similar to the Network Weathermaps plugin for Cacti from my side too We are a company of around 3000 people and around 25 locations worldwide and the lack of this feature is the main reason which holds me back to replace our currrent cacti implementation with PRTG. So if there are a chance to get such a feature in the next 6 to 12 months it would make my decision easier to move to PRTG soon.

Regards

Werner

Created on Nov 7, 2017 2:15:06 PM

Votes:

Dear Werner Gassner,

while even we don't know exactly yet what the far future holds for PRTG, I can say that weather maps will not be available within 6 - 12 months.

It would be a nice addition, but we also have to focus on other parts.

Created on Nov 7, 2017 2:32:44 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, also from my side a +1 to get a wheatermap feature soon.

Created on Jan 22, 2018 2:38:16 PM

Votes:

+1 for Weather as well...seems like a lot of customers are asking for it...might be a good idea to keep us happy (-;

Created on Mar 12, 2018 9:37:19 PM

Votes:

The wheatermap mentiont above can work with different datas, so maybe someone with php skills can do a plugin for prtg into network wheatermap? i will help with this case!

Created on Apr 30, 2018 7:03:03 AM

Votes:

Any news to this? 12 Months are gone and I will also give my +1 for this feature.

Created on Feb 18, 2019 12:46:41 PM

Votes:

Dear blachetta,

such features is currently not in development, because we work on other improvements.

We see demand for weather maps. Other features are requested more often, we prioritize accordingly.

We notice that Uptime Alliance partners like Netbrain already offer a mapping feature (though with a focus different than traffic.)

Created on Feb 18, 2019 5:28:29 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 18, 2019 5:29:28 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Weathermap, +1 for this feature.

Created on Aug 29, 2019 11:14:42 AM

Votes:

Dear Abteilung KI,

in order to open an official feature request, please use this method.

Created on Aug 29, 2019 2:44:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.