What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Are there any limits for using Cloud Ping and Cloud HTTP sensors?

Votes:

I would like to know how many sensors I can add to PRTG that use the PRTG Cloud. Is there a maximum number of cloud sensors that I can create per PRTG installation? Is the usage of the sensor types Cloud HTTP and Cloud Ping restricted somehow, for example, can I use the cloud sensors with any PRTG license?

What does the error message The maximum number of sensors from this type is reached regarding these sensors mean?

cloud-http cloud-ping cloud-sensor error-messages limits prtg prtg-cloud

Created on Mar 10, 2015 3:18:54 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 10, 2019 10:32:23 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

21 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 24

Important Notice: This article is deprecated!

The Cloud HTTP and Cloud Specific sensors are discontinued and can no longer be created or used in PRTG. Use the Cloud HTTP v2 sensor and the Cloud Ping v2 sensor instead. The specified limits in this article do not apply to these new sensors.

Allowed number of cloud sensors per PRTG installation

The cloud sensors Cloud HTTP sensor and Cloud Ping sensor are available in each PRTG edition (freeware, trial, commercial). They use the PRTG Cloud (just like PRTG push notifications) to monitor loading and ping times of devices like web servers from different locations.

In contrast to all other sensors, we defined a limit for the supported number of cloud sensors per PRTG installation. The reason for this restriction is that we want to analyze how frequently PRTG users add the cloud sensors to their PRTG installations and to test the overall load on the PRTG Cloud first. We will decide after some time if we adjust the limits for the cloud sensor count.

Because of this restriction that comes directly from the PRTG Cloud, you cannot add more than

• 5 Cloud HTTP sensors per PRTG installation,
  • 5 Cloud Ping sensors per PRTG installation.

If you add more than 5 Cloud HTTP sensors or more than 5 Cloud Ping sensors to your PRTG installation, the surplus sensors show the Down status with the error message The maximum number of sensors from this type is reached.

Pause or remove cloud sensors to stay below the sensor limit per type and avoid corresponding alarms in PRTG.

Note: Current PRTG versions do not have a hard limit for the number of running cloud sensors. However, we do not recommend that you exceed the limit of 5 cloud sensors per PRTG installation because this scenario has not been tested.

Note: The cloud sensors do not currently support IPv6.

More

Created on Mar 10, 2015 3:21:54 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 19, 2024 12:22:02 PM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I think that allowing just 5 is a bit too low. We are a hosting firm and would like to have some external 'eyes' on some of our services and the cloud based sensor is perfect for this. However, 5...? c'mon :(

Created on May 11, 2015 1:51:29 PM

Votes:

Hello Annfinn,

It's great to hear good feedback on our new features, but please understand that for now the Cloud Sensors are still in Beta status and this 5 sensor limit is intended for us to measure the load these sensors create & cause. We may increase that limit in a future version of PRTG.

Created on May 12, 2015 1:41:49 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Increasing the limit of 5 will be very much appreciated in future releases!

Created on Aug 19, 2015 12:16:29 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Wondering if there is an update on this, we currently use Pingdom for external HTTP uptime but we would love to use PRTG cloud to do this instead. We would need at least 80 per install.

Created on Nov 24, 2015 2:05:14 PM

Votes:

Hello Patrick,
we appreciate your inquiry.

For the mentioned amount of sensors, we recommend another alternative:

1. Create a new Windows-based VM/Instance in your favorite Cloud provider (Amazon, Azure, etc).
  2. Deploy a new Remote Probe on that System running in the Cloud.
  3. Within PRTG, deploy numerous HTTP or HTTP Advanced sensors to set-up your monitoring.
  4. If you require monitoring from more than one location, repeat the same steps on a new instance in another location.

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 25, 2015 7:34:30 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Luciano,

I was wondering if the Cloud Ping and Cloud HTTP sensors are IPv6 ready. In your manual you say that all not IPv6 ready sensors will be greyed-out on and IPv6 device, but I can't get Cloud Ping and Cloud HTTP sensors working on an IPv6 only device.

Best regards,

Created on Feb 7, 2017 10:05:56 AM

Votes:

Hello TyzzyT,
thank you for your reply.

You also got me wondering. I've just tried this and got the following error:

Could not bind socket. Address and port are already in use.
  • Does this resemble the error that you've received?

I will forward this report to one of our sensor developers for analysis. There are no remarks in the documentation, and the sensor can be deployed on IPv4 devices, so I'm not sure whenever the documentation is lacking or the sensor has a problem handling IPv6 addresses.

I'll provide an update on this thread/post as soon as I've received feedback from the corresponding developer.

Kind Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 7, 2017 1:34:18 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

This is the exact same error I received when I try to Cloud Ping my devices. Please let me know if you have any updates on this.

Best regards, TyzzyT

Created on Feb 8, 2017 7:46:26 AM

Votes:

Hello TyzzyT,

this has now been reported to our development team. But at this point it is still uncertain whenever it's a documentation error or a bug in the sensor. We'll have to analyze the sensor's code and will proceed accordingly (with improving the documentation or fixing the sensor).

Keep an eye on our release notes for changes/improvements:

Otherwise, feel free to contact us at any time (here, or via a support ticket or e-mail) and inquiry about the status of internal case PAE821831, we should be able to provide you with a current status then. We can't provide an ETA for the fix, it should usually take a couple of weeks from report to fix.

Best Regards,

Created on Feb 8, 2017 11:43:29 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello, I couldn't find any information. Is the limit of 5 cloud sensors still in place or was adjusted/removed?

Thanks, Pavel

Created on Feb 16, 2017 6:37:33 AM

Votes:

Hi Pavel,

Adding more than 5 cloud sensors is possible in current PRTG versions. Please note that the impact of more than 5 cloud sensors in one PRTG installation is not tested, so we do not recommend that you exceed this limit.

Regards,

Created on Mar 7, 2017 4:41:38 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

Is there any news on the internal PAE821831 case?

Created on Mar 16, 2017 10:36:52 AM

Last change on Jun 11, 2018 12:39:19 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello,
thank you for your follow-up.

I'm afraid that I don't have any further news yet. There is an internal task assigned to development regarding the review of the sensor's code to confirm whenever the sensor is capable of handling IPv6.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 16, 2017 2:17:10 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 11, 2018 1:49:45 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Luciano, Is there any news on the internal PAE821831 case? It has been 3 months since the ticket has been created, there should be at least an update if this is a bug or that this is intentionally?

Created on May 16, 2017 9:03:58 AM

Last change on May 14, 2018 6:56:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello TyzzyT
thank you for your reply and please excuse our delay.

The official information that I was able to obtain is:

The sensor does not support IPv6 at the moment.

Best Regards,

Created on May 16, 2017 12:38:37 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello @ TyzzyT,
thank you for your update.

Please refer to this reply dated May 16, 2017. It has also been included in the best answer.

The Cloud HTTP and Cloud Ping sensors are NOT ipv6 compatible.

Best Regards,

Created on May 14, 2018 6:59:13 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

It's 2019, is the 5 cloud sensor limit still in affect?

Created on May 10, 2019 8:30:58 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

In case this information changes, then we will adjust the above "Top Answer" as well, together with the manual.

Best regards.

Created on May 13, 2019 6:45:07 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The description, first answered in 2015, updated in 2019, says "The reason for this restriction is that we want to analyze how frequently PRTG users add the cloud sensors to their PRTG installations and test the overall load on the PRTG Cloud first. We will decide after some time if we adjust the limits for the cloud sensor count."

Are you still collecting more data? Is there any chance that the cloud sensor limit will scale with scale with the installation/license sensor limit?

Created on Oct 7, 2019 9:38:50 PM

Votes:

Hi dcsgpvan,

Thank you for the reply.

At the moment, we are working on this Sensor and we will release a new version of it. Therefore, the limit persists right now.

Created on Oct 8, 2019 11:49:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.