What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

AD Users not created as local Accounts

Votes:

Hi,

I got an issue here where I don't find the reason for.. I have AD authentication active, Admins can login fine. Now I want to put them in groups to get also notifications to them. Unfortunately, there is no local account created for them as described in the Manual. ( https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/active_directory_integration.htm )

Yes, the user has logged in once, I can see the user as an Active Directory (Administrator) user, but I see no local account. The user can use the GUI, just as always...

I am pretty sure this has worked with older versions, as my own account was created like this. But I now have new Admins, which I can not add like this but need to use local accounts, which of course is bad due to the Password not being synced etc..

Is this known behaviour? I can not tell since which version this is not working anymore but now we're on 15.1.15.2022+

active-directory authentication local-account prtg

Created on Apr 9, 2015 12:49:33 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

So the user doesn't show up in the user list under Setup > System Administration > User Accounts? This should be the case. However, please note that AD users can't be members of PRTG groups. You have to do that with the AD group memberships.

Created on Apr 10, 2015 11:24:40 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

the users are visible, but as an AD user. I want to use the group for notifications.

As I explained, I think some of the users were created locally by PRTG, whcih I then could put in a local group and use the local group for the notifications. But now, new AD users are not created locally.

I can also not put the AD group into a local group for this. So what I am doing wrong?! ;)

Created on Apr 14, 2015 7:38:06 AM

Votes:

As stated before, AD users always reside in their own group which can be used for notifications. If you want the user to be in multiple notification groups (or add multiple users to a notification group), you have to simply put them in the corresponding AD groups.

Think of AD groups as groups managed outside of PRTG. PRTG can't mix internal and AD groups :)

Created on Apr 14, 2015 8:38:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this ever been solved? I am experiencing the very same issue.

Created on Oct 30, 2018 1:43:46 PM

Votes:

@bezibaerchen I'm not exactly sure what that issue will be - PRTG and AD users are treated differently. PRTG user group memberships are handled via PRTG, AD group membership is done entirely via AD. If you want the users to be in different groups, you'll need to add them in AD.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 31, 2018 9:05:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did the Active Directory integration. I can login with AD User. But users added to AD later are not showing in the PRTG Users section. Some users in AD do not showing

Created on Jan 27, 2021 10:21:58 AM

Votes:

Hello BAHADIR,

Have the AD users tried to log in into PRTG?
Please note that the user account in PRTG will be created only after their first login.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 1, 2021 8:11:41 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.