What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Maps: blinking elements

Votes:

Goodmorning,

is it possible to make an object (representing a device) blinking if there's an error on one sensor?

map-objects maps prtg

Created on Jul 23, 2015 8:52:03 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Sure. It's as simply as adding some code to the styles_custom_v2.css, located under C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\css:

#mapelement_2008_1 {
      animation: blink 1s steps(5, start) infinite;
      -webkit-animation: blink 1s steps(5, start) infinite;
    }
    @keyframes blink {
      to {
        visibility: hidden;
      }
    }
    @-webkit-keyframes blink {
      to {
        visibility: hidden;
      }
    }

To get the element ID, open the map in a browser, right click and hit "Inspect element" (depending on the browser) and copy the div ID.

Note: In PRTG versions 13.2.3 through 17.3.33, the file for custom code is styles_custom.css,

Created on Jul 24, 2015 9:40:57 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 1, 2020 10:52:30 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

The problem is that I don't understand how to retrieve the state of an element. As example: if I'm in the map, I select a device and I put in the map an "Icon C" element how can I retrieve if the state is up, down or warning?

Created on Jul 24, 2015 12:24:12 PM

Votes:

That on the other hand, is not possible - sorry :(

Created on Jul 24, 2015 4:57:24 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Maybe it could be a new feature: add in the maps the possibility to define some HTML for each state (down, up, warning). Something like the Before HTML and After HTML, but executed only when the correlated state pop up.

Created on Jul 27, 2015 6:46:21 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid that such a thing won't be implemented in the near future. Sorry!

Created on Jul 27, 2015 7:28:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I know this post is old but I would need this feature too. The only problem is that this ccs code is making the item blink constantly. How do I make it blink only when there is an error ?

Thanks

Created on May 8, 2019 12:55:31 PM

Votes:

Sorry, that probably won't make its way into PRTG I'm afraid.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 2:51:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. One colleague who left the company set up map with the logos of all the customers and he managed to make the square turn red when an issue was detected. Could you explain to me how to do that ?

Created on May 9, 2019 7:36:00 PM

Votes:

Sorry, I'm not sure about that. But he may have used one of the Status-Aware icons in the "Status Icons" category? That's the only thing I could think of :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 13, 2019 7:42:10 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.