What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I set which remote probes are auto updated first?

Votes:

I have 100+ remote probes, 85 of them are connected over a WAN and 15 are connected locally to the same LAN as the core ( master\secondary) or with high speed links.

When I do an auto upgrade, bi-monthly ( so 6 times a year or more) The update process takes a very long time to complete due to the number of remote probes and the WAN connections.

The problem is my environment that the 15 remote probes I have that are local could be upgraded and back online in a fraction of the time it takes the other 85 to complete the process. But of course they sit there some of them as long as the probes which are 3000km away. The 15 high priority probes have 45% of the total sensors; so monitoring data is lost unnecessarily and the blackout window is much larger than is need be.

I would like a way to could set the order or priority of a remote probes auto update. I don't need to set the specific order but I do need to set a way to identify what priority group of the remote probes should belong too and higher priority be auto updated first. Normal / High / Low perhaps.

auto-update feature-request remote-probe remote-probe-install

Created on Jul 31, 2015 1:51:56 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

You can only set the amount of remote probes that are updated at the same time:
How can I change the number of remote probes updated simultaneously?

Then only two remote probes are updated concurrently, saving you some bandwidth. The update process might take a bit longer however :)

Created on Aug 3, 2015 9:34:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Bandwidth management isn't the reason I ask. Some of the my probes (15) should be updated before others (85) to get the best monitoring experience and reduce the impact an update of the remote probes.

I would like to request two features I believe will enhance the auto update feature;

1 - Ability set an auto update priority to a probes settings.

2 - Ability to set the auto update host to come from either the primary or the secondary Core server instead of the default primary.

For #2 now that remote probes connect to both core servers, this opens the door for auto updates to come from both servers at once. Allowing geographically disbursed deployments to better make use of the WAN connections.

I think both 1 and 2 compliment each other and also build on the new dual connection remote probe feature you recently added.

Created on Aug 5, 2015 4:25:30 PM

Votes:

The request is absolutely legit, but so fare you are the first on to request this, so it is unlikely that you will see this in PRTG any time soon, sorry.

Created on Aug 7, 2015 5:59:57 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this request? Has any improvement been made in this area outside of the specifics of this requests that you can share?

This feature would still be very useful for us.

Thank you

Created on Apr 20, 2016 2:04:53 PM

Votes:

@stephensuley: No such functionality is implemented in PRTG. There are also no plans to do so in future currently.
Best regards

Created on Apr 20, 2016 2:27:18 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.