What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Set up sensors to scan every 7 days?

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to know how can I make this possible, setting up sensors to scan every 7 days?

I did create a group using a exe.script type of sensor, but due to the nature of the scan and to prevent other pages (such as who.is) from blocking us, the scanning interval was changed to 7 days.

What we did was to add "7d" as an scanning interval option under systems administration> monitoring> available intervals. However this doenst seem to be working as expected, and the sensors are being scanned once ever day. In what format is the new interval supposed to be added? days (d) or Hours (168h for 7 days) for it to work ? or is there another factor at play for this scanning interval to work?

Another thing to have in mind is we are using TLDomainexpiry (from PFTGFamilyTools) sensor.

Thanks in advance.

Virginia Barraza

exe-script-sensor scanning-interval tldomainexpiry

Created on Sep 16, 2015 3:53:45 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

The notation 7d is indeed correct (i.e. should work). However, can you try 168h just for testing purposes?

Q: Another thing to have in mind is we are using TLDomainexpiry (from PFTGFamilyTools) sensor.
I don't see a problem with that :)

Created on Sep 17, 2015 11:23:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Off-topic: Where can we get the TLDomainExpiry sensor? I didn't know that existed, and can't find any more information here or on the main PRTG site about it.

Created on Sep 18, 2015 1:29:09 PM

Votes:

Created on Sep 18, 2015 1:39:23 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan, I have tested using 168h instead and when I click to save, it gets changed back to 7d (so I guess that was correct), however I still see the same issue with the sensor running once a day instead of once every 7 days. Any suggestions on what to check? Scanning intervals from the parent device and the parent group match the 7d as well, and I dont have any dependencies attached to these sensors.

Thanks.

Created on Sep 22, 2015 2:02:41 PM

Votes:

I'll test it in my local installation and let you know what I found.

Created on Sep 23, 2015 6:05:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

From initial testing, it seems that the 7d interval is indeed a 1d interval. We'll get this fixed :) But it may take a while.

Created on Sep 24, 2015 12:08:03 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 24, 2015 12:08:18 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for checking into this Stephan, and please let us know when this is fixed. For now we are going to look for a work around for this, maybe trying schedules so that the sensors scanning goes by that.

Created on Sep 24, 2015 1:21:29 PM

Votes:

Hi Virginia,

The case is still tested by our QA Team, we were not able to fully recreate this issue. Could you please forward a screenshot of the Logs Tab of this particular sensor to illustrate if there was another factor which affects the sensor at this time?

Did the Probe or Core Server reboot during this time?

Created on Oct 5, 2015 1:52:56 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this fixed by now? We have an 7d interval specified as well and we see multiple scans per day on sensors with that schedule.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 9:00:46 AM

Votes:

Could you provide me with the sensor's protocol tab content? The issue could not be recreated back then. Add !nopublish to your post to keep it private.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 19, 2018 11:56:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.