What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Staged transfer to new core server

Votes:

We currently have a core server hosted externally, which we want to replace with an internal one.

It has local probe, cluster probe, a remote probe under our control and several remote probes under the control of clients.

So, unfortunately, we can't do a big bang approach and transfer everything at once.

What we're trying to find out is whether we can create a new core server and stage the transfer piece by piece, along the following lines.

1/ Move all the local probe stuff.

2/ Move the cluster probe stuff.

3/ Move the remote probes under our control.

4/ Move the remote probes under client control.

Preferably while not losing any historical data in the process.

I've read the document (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/413-how-can-i-move-migrate-my-prtg-installation-to-another-computer) about transferring to a new core server but that seems to copy across everything in one hit. If that includes data, then it appears we're not going to be able to preserve historical information due to the need for staging.

Is there a way to do this or are we going to have to transfer all data in one hit and lose some data in the process for remote probes that get transferred at a later stage?

configurration historic-data prtg

Created on Sep 18, 2015 9:19:34 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi paxdiablo

I think the remote probes store its data, if the masterserver is not available, as soon as it is available again, they will send all of it to the PRTG Core server, so you should not lose data from the remote probes. But as you said, sensors on the PRTG Core itself will be off and according to my knowledge Paessler has no option for staged transfer. Maybe you create a support ticket at https://shop.paessler.com/en/openticket?_ga=1.36046240.120681451.1440403001 directly. They may have a solution if no technician answers in here.

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 8, 2016 3:00:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.