What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HyperV VM. The VM Could not be found

Votes:

I have multiple VMs running on a host, and all but 2 machines (Both DCs) are reporting as okay. However, these 2 machines are being reported as an error stating that the machine could not be found and are they powered off.

They are not powered off, and are working fine, but PRTG cannot report on them. Any ideas on why?

2012r2 error hyperv

Created on Oct 6, 2015 2:49:18 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If a Hyper-V virtual machine contains a slash in it's name, i.e:

Windows Server 2012/R2

PRTG will not be able to monitor the virtual machine as the slash in it's name affects the WMI query, the result is a (down) sensor with the message:

The sensor could not find the Hyper-V virtual machine. To resolve this issue, check if the virtual machine might be powered off. Also make sure that the virtual machine does not contain a slash or backslash in its name. (code PE068) -- Perfcounter: The wait operation timed out (Performance Counter error 0x102)

The workaround is to rename the virtual-machine and deploy the sensor anew.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 15, 2015 12:18:00 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 29, 2019 11:23:44 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
could you try turnig off UAC on the Guest Operating System of these VMs? Afterwards try creating the sensor again.
Does that work?

Created on Oct 7, 2015 1:48:41 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thanks for your response. I have confirmed that the UAC is turned off, and recreated the sensor but still the same thing.

Created on Oct 8, 2015 7:19:16 PM

Votes:

Hi,
could you please run the sensor manually? The sensor is located at <PRTG Install Directory>\Sensor System and named SCVMMSensor.exe. Pleas run the same with the following call:

SCVMMSensor.exe "-host=<host>" -act=GetHostData "-user=<domain>\<user>" "-pass=<password>" "-id=<hostserver>"

please replace the params in <> accordingly. What results do you get?

Created on Oct 9, 2015 9:27:31 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is the response from running it manually ...

<prtg>
        <error>1</error>
        <text>The term 'Get-VMMServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet
, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or
 if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.</text>
</prtg>

This is confusing as other sensors on the same host are working for other VMs?

Created on Oct 11, 2015 9:17:49 PM

Last change on Oct 12, 2015 8:03:27 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Brent, Kindly confirm: Which of the following sensors are you using?

The test above SCVMMSensor.exe "-host=<host> ..." refers to the SCVMM Virtual Machine Sensor.

The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor can display the following message when the Virtual Machine is powered off or if it was renamed:

WMI: The VM could not be found. Is it powered off? (code: PE068) -- PerfCounter: No data to return. (Performance Counter error 0x800007D5)

The workaround in this case is to deploy the sensor for that virtual machine anew. Ideally you shouldn't rename virtual machines when monitoring them using the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 12, 2015 8:09:12 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi,

I have created a new sensor (I am using the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine" sensor, which is the same sensor monitoring all of my other virtual machines running on the same host that are working perfectly) and the same problem occurs.

(When I create the sensor, the "wizard" correctly detects the VM)

Created on Oct 12, 2015 10:05:42 PM

Last change on Oct 13, 2015 7:05:22 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Brent.

Are you running the latest version of PRTG?

Does the wizard correctly detect the VM but it goes into the previously described error as soon as you add it?

To further troubleshoot this I must ask that you contact us using this form or through a Support Bundle, we'll need logs and other details for analysis. Kindly mention this KB post when contacting us.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 13, 2015 7:09:53 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 13, 2015 7:10:54 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If a Hyper-V virtual machine contains a slash in it's name, i.e:

Windows Server 2012/R2

PRTG will not be able to monitor the virtual machine as the slash in it's name affects the WMI query, the result is a (down) sensor with the message:

The sensor could not find the Hyper-V virtual machine. To resolve this issue, check if the virtual machine might be powered off. Also make sure that the virtual machine does not contain a slash or backslash in its name. (code PE068) -- Perfcounter: The wait operation timed out (Performance Counter error 0x102)

The workaround is to rename the virtual-machine and deploy the sensor anew.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 15, 2015 12:18:00 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 29, 2019 11:23:44 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.