What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can i remove dependencies for a group ?

Votes:

I have a group of `dhcp clients` which i would like to have visibility of, to allow me to check thier online presence, but can i remove the depenencies link to the parent group - so it doent flag the state of my whole montioring sytem as Red if a DHCP client goes offline ?

dependencies dhcp group prtg

Created on Oct 6, 2015 9:49:25 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Yes that´s possible. Just open the settings page of the group "dhcp clients" and disable the inhertitance of "SCHEDULES, DEPENDENCIES, AND MAINTENANCE WINDOW".

Created on Oct 8, 2015 1:08:29 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

OK, so when i do that and `save` ... it makes no difference, i go back into the settings and its checked again.

when i unselect the inhertitance of "SCHEDULES, DEPENDENCIES, AND MAINTENANCE WINDOW" for that group, i also HAVE to select another dependency. - this is no option to `disable` it.

options are...

Dependency Type Use parent Select object

i want neither...

Created on Oct 8, 2015 1:46:22 PM

Votes:

Hello,

What version of PRTG are you using?

Created on Oct 9, 2015 6:38:24 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Latest. PRTG Version PRTG Network Monitor 15.4.19.4197

Created on Oct 9, 2015 9:33:32 AM

Votes:

There is no `disable` option. only the ability to uncheck the box next to the"SCHEDULES, DEPENDENCIES, AND MAINTENANCE WINDOW". - but this does not `disable` anything, it just then allows you to select alternative dependencies. If i just uncheck the option and click `save`. its not saved anything and when i return to the settings the options is checked again.

Created on Oct 9, 2015 9:36:07 AM

Votes:

also, stupid Q, why cant i see my replies on this topic ?

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/66464-can-i-remove-dependencies-for-a-group

Created on Oct 9, 2015 9:49:18 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Dependencies, schedules and maintenance windows always pause all sensors inside a group/device. This pausing is always inherited to all sub-objects and the inheritance can not be disabled. Below you can set additional schedules, maintenance windows or dependencies that will be used on top of any inherited setting.

There was an bug in the kb section that not all replies are listed. Now the issue is fixed.

Created on Oct 12, 2015 11:33:36 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

So, in simple... no i cant. ?

or is there any special method i could use to show the `state` of DHCP clients on my lan, but not flag the whole lan RED when one of them is offline ? i simply want to remove the dependencies from the DHCP client group.

Created on Oct 16, 2015 10:33:30 PM

Votes:

Hello,

If you would like to exclude dependencies from a group you have to remove all dependencies from all parents of the DHCP client group and set the dependencies on group level anew. This can be done for several groups via multi edit.

Created on Oct 19, 2015 4:33:11 PM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.