What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

snmp custom sensor value lookup

Votes:

I moved my current configuration to other installation in other computer. I compiled there the mibs i need but i cannot see the correct value lookup for the channel settings, moreover the channels don't show up correctly:

i see this http://i.imgur.com/9fJ9Vjh.png

instead of this http://i.imgur.com/Lc46Y5k.png

best regards

Daniela

channel-settings snmp-custom-sensor snmp-sensor

Created on Nov 16, 2015 8:55:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

Please check folder [installdestination]\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom of your old installation, there should be the lookup file that also needs to be placed in the same folder of your new installation. That way it will be made available in the "lookup dropdown". Please also check if you configured the same sensor type as in the other installation, since there's SNMP Custom Sensor and SNMP Custom Lookup Sensor to choose between.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 9:16:37 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 18, 2015 9:19:31 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

Could you please post the content of the lookup-file you're using?

Thank you & Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 2:49:18 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How? I asume the look up file is the compiled mib... am i right? In my first installation, after i compiled the mibs, i could see this option for the value lookup http://i.imgur.com/YTh7JKB.png but it doesn't appear in the second installation.

regards

Created on Nov 17, 2015 3:04:19 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

Please check folder [installdestination]\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom of your old installation, there should be the lookup file that also needs to be placed in the same folder of your new installation. That way it will be made available in the "lookup dropdown". Please also check if you configured the same sensor type as in the other installation, since there's SNMP Custom Sensor and SNMP Custom Lookup Sensor to choose between.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 9:16:37 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 18, 2015 9:19:31 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Erhard,

That solved it! Just one more question if i may... how is the lookup file created? because in the first installation i didn't do anything beyond compiling the MIB.

thank you very much

regards

Created on Nov 18, 2015 2:41:08 PM

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

You're welcome. Lookup files will be created automatically upon creation of this sensor as far as it is able to extract such information from the OIDLIB. It looks to me like you may have moved your installation to another machine, copying PRTG's datafolder (...ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor) over to the new machine, but this folder does not contain those lookups, since they are stored in the aforementioned installation path (...PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom). Details like these are also being addressed in our Guide for Migrating a PRTG Installation.
See also: How PRTG Network Monitor Stores its Data

More information regarding lookups:

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 4:00:54 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.