What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I changed my Administrator password and now my sensors stopped working

Votes:

I changed my password following this: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/prtg_server_administrator

However now most of my sensors (all but Ping, HTTP, and RDP) are now in a down state with the following error (I added * for the User and domain):

WMI: Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied - Host: crmdist101.redmond.corp.microsoft.com, User: *, Password: *, Domain: ntlmdomain:*) (code: PE015). It appears that you are experiencing some difficulties with WMI or related areas. For more information, please see our knowledge base: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/60153 -- PerfCounter: Could not log in using the specified credentials. Please make sure they are not only valid for the target system, but for the probe system as well. (Performance Counter error 0xB0000004)

I looked at the link give (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/60153) but those solutions are specific to the sensor on each machine.

I have rebooted a few hosts but the issue remains. Am I to believe this is a WMI issue on each and every sensor? A PW change requires touching 1500 sensors?!?

This has to be an issue with the admin password...I changed the password back but my sensors still don't work and now I'm completely hosed.

password-change prtg wmi

Created on Nov 23, 2015 9:03:10 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2015 6:37:19 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Did you change them on a device level? Are they inherited somewhere? Are you sure that you entered them correct? Questions upon questions :)

Created on Nov 24, 2015 10:55:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i have the exact same issue : what was the resolution ? what have you done to fix ? i can't afford to delete and rebuild all of my WMI sensors again !

Created on Dec 17, 2019 10:16:32 AM

Votes:

i fixed doing the following if this can help some of you : stop the probe from the prtg admin tool change again the password on top of the local probe (where it propagates everywhere) start the probe again and wait or force the update by restarting services

Created on Dec 17, 2019 10:41:18 AM

Votes:

Hello fredericLevet,

Happy to hear that you got it working. And also, thank you for sharing your solution!

Created on Dec 18, 2019 7:01:51 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanx you so mush Fredéric for this trick

Created on Jan 8, 2020 1:32:16 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.