What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

When a Sensor Reports an Error

Votes:

Is it possible to delay an error state for a sensor when it value is above defined limit? I would like to for eg. filter out CPU spikes when error limit is set 90% and an error should be noted, displayed and notified only when high CPU load persist for 5 minutes already. With current way how "When a Sensor Reports an Error" settings works I can't find other option. brg, TG.

error notification sensor

Created on Nov 29, 2015 10:36:29 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Dear tgrazka

The sensor status triggered by a limit cannot be delayed. However, you can delay the trigger of a notification. So while the sensor itself turns red immediately, the notification trigger can be configured to only create a ticket or send an email when the value is above a certain value for a certain amount of time.

Created on Dec 1, 2015 12:58:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

And there is a gotcha unfortunately. Imagine an installation with 25 000 sensors and 5 000 of them are CPU Load sensors. In order to avoid large amount of emails with alerts for spiky high loaded CPU readings your manager asked you to delay email notifications for all these sensors with 5 minutes. As it was explained already in a thread https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/64906-notification-change there is no way to multi edit notifications neither via web interface neither via API. How to achieve this without spending the whole week with dummy clicking?

Created on Dec 1, 2015 9:25:59 PM

Votes:

Dear Tomasz

Up to 1000 sensors can get a notification using a library (each library is limited to 1000 sensors.) With five libraries covering 1000 sensors each, and a library notification for the primary channel for any included sensor, you can cover 5000 sensors.

Created on Dec 2, 2015 11:41:37 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can see double inconsistency here: First one is with different definitions for sensor's error state when it is unreachable and when it overcomes limits - it should be the same one in my opinion. "When a Sensor Reports an Error" should apply for limits as well as for unreachable scenarios. Second one is when the only solution is to set notifications in two different places - on device and on library level. For me bulk edit for notifications would do the job.

Created on Dec 7, 2015 11:05:13 PM

Votes:

Dear Tomasz

The option "When a Sensor Reports an Error" is intended to be used to prevent short-lived connection issues flooding PRTG with alarms. Beside this, PRTG intentionally shows the current state of the sensors. If a limit hits, it changes the sensor state.

Notifications triggered by the state "Down" include both sensor errors as well as errors caused by sensor limits, and can be configured to set a minimum time the state must be present before the notification triggers.

Notification bulk editing has some implications regarding consistency checks In many cases, notifications on libraries can provide the same or a similar effect and is easier to handle. For the time being we don't plan to introduce multi-edit for notifications, I am sorry.

Created on Dec 8, 2015 12:55:57 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Добрый день. Похожая ситуация. Отслеживаю работу программы через исходящую скорость сетевой карты. Поставил порог если скорость меньше 1 мбит/с выдовать ошибку. Данное условие хорошо работает на 95% PC. Но 5% часто выдают на один интервал значение равное 0 и PRTG это воспринимает за ошибку. Как недопустить ложные срабатывания.

Created on Sep 28, 2018 11:10:55 PM

Votes:

Отслеживаю работу программы через исходящую скорость сетевой карты. Поставил порог если скорость меньше 1 мбит / с выставить ошибку. Это условие хорошо работает на 95% PC. Но 5% часто выдают на один интервал значение равное 0 и PRTG это воспринимает за ошибку. Как недопустить ложные срабатывания?

Created on Sep 28, 2018 11:19:24 PM

Votes:

Dear dronorel,

in order to reach a wider audience, please communicate in English.

Created on Oct 1, 2018 1:17:38 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.