What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Process Monitor - Average per instance CPU too high.

Votes:

Hello, I am CONSTANTLY seeing a process use between 179-1058% average cpu per instance, the CPU Usage Total is between 11-66%. I would think the process average per instance would be far less than the total % :-) Whats going on?

cpu prtg wmi

Created on Jan 2, 2016 8:27:57 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

So for other people landing on this post from a search engine...... if you have 4 processors and a process is using 100% of all 4 processors the per instance percent would be 400% In my case i have 20 processors so I could see usage as high as 2000%

kind of weird... I think (my opinion) it should be a number similar to the TOTAL but per instance. So if my total cpu usage was 30% and i had three instances running, i would rather the per instance percent show 10% But hey... It works.. :-)

Created on Jan 5, 2016 3:37:48 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Please take a look at this thread for an explanation.

Kind regards.

Created on Jan 4, 2016 2:23:55 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

So for other people landing on this post from a search engine...... if you have 4 processors and a process is using 100% of all 4 processors the per instance percent would be 400% In my case i have 20 processors so I could see usage as high as 2000%

kind of weird... I think (my opinion) it should be a number similar to the TOTAL but per instance. So if my total cpu usage was 30% and i had three instances running, i would rather the per instance percent show 10% But hey... It works.. :-)

Created on Jan 5, 2016 3:37:48 AM

Votes:

Yes, it's "the blessing and the curse" of multithreaded applications as also the aforementioned post explained (one process, but several threads that you don't see in Taskmanager deriving from it, performing different operations utilizing several cores) :-)

Kind regards.

Created on Jan 5, 2016 10:18:26 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.