What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Spinning globe on the Map

Votes:

I wold like to put on my Map this nice spinning globe which can be seen on Cloud HTTP sensor page (overview tab). How can I achieve this?

cloud-http globe map

Created on Jan 25, 2016 10:13:15 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi Tomasz,

Open the map designer and unfold the Geo Maps table on the right side. The map object is called Globe.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 26, 2016 6:46:07 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have tried this already and when I put my Cloud HTTP sensor on Globe object then I can see spinning globe but without any sensor data and with a message "Incompatible Object Type. This Object only supports Group, Probe." Help.

Created on Jan 26, 2016 6:25:31 PM

Votes:

Hi Tomasz,

You're correct. The object will just work for groups and devices. I will create a feature proposal for a map object which will work on sensor level.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 27, 2016 8:18:18 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Would love this feature as well. However, one thing that annoys me about the globe, is that when you use the refresh timer on the map, it reloads the entire globe and then the globe has to be zoomed in again. It just looks terrible on a big screen if it reloads every 10 seconds.

Created on Sep 1, 2016 12:31:42 PM

Votes:

I tagged your post as a feature request and your vote for the implementation is therefore counted :) Regarding the globe refresh issue, this is by design because the refresh reload the complete map, and can not be changed at the moment, sorry.

Created on Sep 2, 2016 1:29:38 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Any update on this feature request. I would also like to include this spinning globe on a map.

Created on Feb 26, 2018 11:37:08 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid that there's not update on this one. If we work on a new version of the map designer in the future, we will be able to consider integrating this object.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 27, 2018 12:49:24 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is a new map designer on the road map? Even though I have been able to get the map designer to work I feel that many aspects of it could be improved.

Created on Feb 27, 2018 3:06:59 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

We're considering this, yes. I cannot provide any ETAs or further details yet, please stay tuned.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 28, 2018 10:11:59 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I found a way to put the Cloud HTTP globe on my map. It involves creating a map just for the globe that is the same size as the globe on the sensor page. Then use iframe to load the Cloud HTTP sensor page in a custom HTML object and use CSS so that it focuses squarely on the globe. Next you take the iframe link of the globe map and add it as a custom HTML object on the public map where you want it to be displayed. The map iframe URL can be found under the URL tab of the globe map.

Also, I created a read-only user and gave its group permissions to only see the globe map. I then passed the credentials for that user in the iframe URL of the custom HTML object on the public map. (https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/6793-how-to-make-prtg-accessible-by-providing-username-and-password-in-the-url) This allows the public map to load the globe. Only drawback is that if you load the public map URL it will take over your PRTG session. You can use a different browser or "incognito mode" of the browser you are working in to preserve your admin session.

To keep the globe map from refreshing before the main map you can pass the interval object in the URL. This need to be in the iframe URL of the custom HTML object on the public map. Make it longer than the default refresh of the public map. See the following link for interval URL instructions: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/50143-changing-setting-maps-default-refresh-time

It is definitely a work around. Hopefully the new map designer isn't too far off!

Created on Mar 16, 2018 10:15:33 PM

Last change on Mar 21, 2018 10:51:27 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.