What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Monitor EMC VNX and EMC VNXe?

Votes:

Is ist possible to monitor a EMC-Storage System (VNX and VNXe)?

Yes it is, in a couple of hours I wrote some useful PowerShell-Scripts to monitor the following for the VNX: Disk Space Disk Status Flushed MBs

and for the VNXe-System: Battery Status Disk Status IO-Module Status Memory-Module Status PSU Status SSD Status Disk Space.

I describe the scripts and how to install them in the following two replys.

custom-sensor emc powershell vnx vnxe

Created on Mar 7, 2016 11:55:22 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update: As of version 18.1.37, PRTG includes 5 sensor types that enable you to monitor your Dell EMC Unity family storage systems out of the box! The sensors use the REST API of Dell EMC devices to show you health status and other important measurements of your Dell EMC storage components.

Created on Mar 9, 2018 5:31:57 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 1, 2019 10:43:02 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

12 Replies

Votes:

We're waiting for it! Thanks for your efforts and sharing :)

Created on Mar 8, 2016 12:26:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

HI

I really need this information. We've just intalled a vnx 3200 and costumer ask for monitor it on PRTG. But I don't find any MIB or any information to add it on PRTG. I don't know too much about SMTP scripting.

Thank you

Best Regards

Created on Apr 5, 2016 1:37:50 PM

Votes:

I would be very grateful for the VNXe scripts. I am trying to find a way to monitor my LUNs along with other parts to keep an eye on the health of my SANs.

Created on Apr 19, 2016 12:27:48 PM

Votes:

I'm not sure if we'll ever see this :/

Created on Apr 19, 2016 1:21:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update: As of version 18.1.37, PRTG includes 5 sensor types that enable you to monitor your Dell EMC Unity family storage systems out of the box! The sensors use the REST API of Dell EMC devices to show you health status and other important measurements of your Dell EMC storage components.

Created on Mar 9, 2018 5:31:57 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 1, 2019 10:43:02 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Gerald,

I wanted to use those REST sensors to monitor our EMC Unity 300 but they all fail with different errors.

Do I have to activate or configure something additionally on the storage system?

Sensor: REST Dell EMC Capacity

Error: 
Cannot load endpoint https://"storagesystem ip"/api/instances/systemCapacity/0?fields=sizeFree,sizeTotal,sizeUsed,compressionPercent,sizeSubscribed: Get https://"storagesystem ip"/api/instances/systemCapacity/0?fields=sizeFree,sizeTotal,sizeUsed,compressionPercent,sizeSubscribed: x509: certificate signed by unknown authority.

Sensor: 
REST Dell EMC Systemzustand

Error: 
Cannot load endpoint https://"storagesystem ip"/api/instances/system/0?fields=health,currentPower: Get https://"storagesystem ip"/api/instances/system/0?fields=health,currentPower: x509: certificate signed by unknown authority.

Sensor:
REST Dell EMC Dateisystem BETA

Error:
Der Sensor konnte nicht angelegt werden REST Dell EMC Dateisystem BETA auf Gerät "storageserver name" ("storagesystem ip").

Bitte ziehen Sie die folgenden Ressourcen zu Rate:

This sensor type uses lookups to determine the status values of one or more sensor channels. This means that possible states are defined in a lookup file. You can change the behavior of a channel by editing the lookup file that this channel uses. For details, see the manual section Define Lookups.
Currently, this sensor type is in beta status. The methods of operating can change at any time, as well as the available settings. Do not expect that all functions will work properly, or that this sensor works as expected at all. Be aware that this type of sensor can be removed again from PRTG at any time.

Any ideas?

Best, Sascha

Created on Apr 9, 2018 3:01:59 PM

Last change on Apr 10, 2018 9:15:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sascha,

Is the PRTG server able to open up https://<fqdn-or-ip-of-your-emc>:4443/login and what do you see when you open it?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 10, 2018 2:06:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi i have a same error and i cant open https://<fqdn-or-ip-of-your-emc>:4443/login in my prtg server

Created on Dec 26, 2018 6:39:51 AM

Votes:

Are you able to ping the server via the PRTG Server? Have you tried different browsers already, because the interface seemingly requires Java. What specific error message do you get? Or is it a simple timeout?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 26, 2018 6:48:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i check with 3 browser and error is :This page can’t be displayed and i can ping my emc from my prtg server

Created on Dec 29, 2018 5:09:44 AM

Votes:

i can ping from my prtg server and check with different browser and have same error

Created on Dec 31, 2018 5:04:28 AM

Votes:

Hello kamonitor,

Which error do you get?

The sensors were developed based on this API (Unisphere), they support only systems from the Unity lineup and I'm not sure if VNX/VNXe are from that product family.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 2, 2019 8:15:34 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.