What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Radius or Tacacs+ support?

Votes:

Hello, Currently we are using Cisco ACS for a central authentication & accounting. Is there any plan to add radius or tacacs+ on PRTG? Thanks.

cisco-acs radius tacacs-

Created on Apr 8, 2016 10:17:37 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please place your vote in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/82629-open-improve-ad-integration-in-prtg-including-sso-with-ad-or-adfs-2fa by hitting the thumbs-up for the initial post.

Note that we're currently already investigating Azure Active Directory integration.

Created on Nov 11, 2019 8:55:18 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

13 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

We do have RADIUS/tacacs+ authentication on our task list, but I would be very hard pressed to let you know when the same will be implemented. The demand for the same hasn't been very high, so the priority for this type of authentication is relatively low.

Created on Apr 11, 2016 6:24:51 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Have you made any progress on authentication via TACACS. Honestly its much easier to integrate tacacs for authentication since most network administrators own tacacs versus AD integration. Besides using local login credentials are a thing of the past.

Created on Jul 14, 2017 9:04:40 PM

Votes:

Dear Mark,

thank you for the KB Post. We do appreciate user feedback very much. Implemented support for TACACS is still only on the wish list I'm afraid. The reason for this is that the necessary developer work would be rather high (including testing of course), in relation to the number of requests (also in comparison to the our installation base of 200,000).
So I'm afraid I can only say, that for the time being, it has to wait for more voices raised.

best regards.

Created on Jul 18, 2017 10:35:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am raising my voice! (again - I did so years ago already) Please add RADIUS authentication (we also use a Cisco ACS). I echo the points above: - network admins have easier access to RADIUS (or Cisco TACACS+) than Windows / LDAP authentication which is AD managed. - compliance is a headache when local USER accounts are used.

BTW thanks for this great product, and your super support service!

Created on Nov 28, 2017 8:47:10 AM

Votes:

Hi We miss exactly the same option for validating logons. It's difficult to understand that after so many years it still can not be given priority for development.

/Andreas

Created on Jul 4, 2018 6:03:00 AM

Votes:

Seems like a pretty basic request for any network service type system. Why has this not been addressed when a clear request was made more than 3 years ago?

Created on Oct 22, 2018 8:23:29 PM

Votes:

I'm with you regarding RADIUS authentication, but TACACS is clearly not getting implemented due to the lack of popular demand. We're currently more looking towards 2FA, so please leave your vote at https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81138-open-2fa-implementation :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 24, 2018 12:02:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please add me to the list of users looking for TACACS, since having a central point of administration is critical and cumbersome to engineer the routing for, it would save Administrators a lot of work if you just included TACACS in PRTG.

Created on Apr 18, 2019 6:24:32 PM

Votes:

Please see my previous answer for that. Sorry, there's little to no chance this gets implemented.

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 19, 2019 6:48:44 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So you're saying there's a chance?

Created on Aug 23, 2019 10:09:26 PM

Votes:

No, sorry. We're currently looking into 2Factor Authentication.

Created on Aug 26, 2019 5:55:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 26, 2019 5:55:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Another big upvote for RADIUS auth, or even improved AD integration! This is a pretty big disadvantage to using PRTG in a large commercial setting.

Created on Nov 11, 2019 4:42:43 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please place your vote in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/82629-open-improve-ad-integration-in-prtg-including-sso-with-ad-or-adfs-2fa by hitting the thumbs-up for the initial post.

Note that we're currently already investigating Azure Active Directory integration.

Created on Nov 11, 2019 8:55:18 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.