What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring quotas on Exchange 2013 user mailboxes

Votes:

Hi

I saw the post about monitoring the size of Mailboxes on this one https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/59749-monitoring-quotas-on-exchange-2010-user-mailboxes

and i have the same problem.

With the sensor Exchange Mailbox (Powershell), I can check the Mailbox size but I have to add a sensor for every Mailbox (Exchange user) and for ervery new user I have to do it again.

Is there another sensor or a solution to Monitor the sizes of all mailboxes?

Thanks

Paul

exchange mailbox-size sensor

Created on May 18, 2016 6:43:11 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Paekau

It depends a little bit when you want to get an alarm.

I suggest creating an Powershell script which checks the sizes of all mailboxes with: Get-MailboxStatistics -server EXCSRV01 | select DisplayName,TotalItemSize or directly Get-MailboxStatistics -server EXCSRV01 | where {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB() -ge 5120 If one is bigger as 5120 MB, return an error to PRTG in the script, so that the sensor turns red. If that happens, you have to manually open the Powershellscript output to see which mailbox it is.

A really more advanced thing would be to use the script above, then create an XML output, formated the way PRTG needs it. For each Mailbox, a sensorchannel will be created in which you see the mailboxsize. Downside is, that everytime you create a new mailbox, you need to recreate the Sensor. Because the channels are created when the script is reading the data from the XML File the first time.

cheers
Thomas

Created on May 24, 2016 2:43:47 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Paul,
Currently there is no possibility to monitor the size of all mailboxes. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on May 19, 2016 2:10:40 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Paekau

It depends a little bit when you want to get an alarm.

I suggest creating an Powershell script which checks the sizes of all mailboxes with: Get-MailboxStatistics -server EXCSRV01 | select DisplayName,TotalItemSize or directly Get-MailboxStatistics -server EXCSRV01 | where {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB() -ge 5120 If one is bigger as 5120 MB, return an error to PRTG in the script, so that the sensor turns red. If that happens, you have to manually open the Powershellscript output to see which mailbox it is.

A really more advanced thing would be to use the script above, then create an XML output, formated the way PRTG needs it. For each Mailbox, a sensorchannel will be created in which you see the mailboxsize. Downside is, that everytime you create a new mailbox, you need to recreate the Sensor. Because the channels are created when the script is reading the data from the XML File the first time.

cheers
Thomas

Created on May 24, 2016 2:43:47 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.