What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Paused sensors in Business Process sensor

Votes:

Ive noticed that Paused sensors in Business Process sensor shows error, so if i define a device as object in Business Process sensor and it has even one sensors in pause state - it immediately shows error.

How can I fix the problem ? Is it possible to isolate the the paused sensors ? Thank you.

business-process business-process-sensor paused

Created on Jun 6, 2016 7:55:43 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

The input status "paused" is considered as "down" for computing the Business Process Sensor status.

For more details please see this article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/66647

Best regards

Created on Jun 7, 2016 11:17:45 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Paessler, could you make "Down" action for "pause" condition configurable? Similarly like you have options for error handling in Sensor Factory it would be: - Channel Object Status "Paused" condition makes Business Process (BP) Condition to be Down - Channel Object Status "Paused" condition makes Business Process (BP) Condition to be UP Brg, TG.

Created on Sep 19, 2017 7:31:09 PM

Votes:

Dear Tomasz,

Thank you very much for your reply.
While I do understand your request, there are currently no plans to change the sensor's behavior. Anyways be assure that we'll count your vote on this.
Please allow me to share further information on how we deal with feature requests, which can be found here.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 20, 2017 7:05:11 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Paessler Team,

Could you please take into consideration a configurable "paused condition behaviour" feature for the business process sensors, because of the following situation:

1. A business process sensor monitors a quite dynamic group of web servers. The business process sensor is set at group level because of the dynamic character of the monitored sensors inside the group;
  2. Each server (device) in the group can host several websites, which are monitored by several sensors on each device in the group;
  3. Each of the active sensors in this group must have business process condition "up" in order to make a business process icon on a system status wallscreen appear "green", i.e. the business process sensor threshold is set to 100%;
  4. Sometimes a single website is migrated to another webserver (within the same group). Since the corresponding sensor can not be moved to the new device, it must be paused in order to keep the historical data (Paessler KB46083/34733);
  5. A "paused" condition causes a "down" state of the business process sensor for that group (Paessler KB66647);
  6. The device hosting the paused website cannot be moved to another group since other websites on the same device are still to be monitored by the business process sensor. Cloning the device would result in loss of the historical data for the corresponding sensors;
  7. At this point we have conflicting requirements: A sensor must be paused for archiving and at the same time it can't be paused because of the business process state! Moving the paused sensor to a place outside the monitored group is not possible, because of the loss of the historical data...

Thanks in advance for examining this issue! Any suggestions for a practical approach are highly appreciated!

(IMHO an additional object status "Archived" could solve this issue and increase overall clarity of the monitoring tree as well, as long as individual sensors cannot be moved to a separate "archive area".)

Best regards, Arjan

Created on May 15, 2018 9:52:01 AM

Last change on May 15, 2018 2:11:10 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arjan,

Thank you for your detailed explanation what you are doing. As far as sensor handling of the paused status is concerned, this has already been discussed and changing the behavior for paused states was denied. Introducing an additional sensor state is even more unlikely I'm afraid to avoid further extending complexity of sensor states and their handling.

So let's see what else we can do. If I understand correctly you basically have webservers that host several websites (using SNI etc.), so you have a single device for each host and several sensors on them for each website they're housing, right?

Based on what you've described I would assume that you've thrown whole devices into the business process sensor's channels and that's what's causing you headaches, because as soon as you pause one of those sensors for archiving, this leads to a negative sensor state in the business process sensor. A way around that would be instead of adding the whole device to add each sensor of interest one by one to the business process sensors channels. That way you can delete the paused "source sensor" in the business process sensor's channel if necessary and also add anew its successor running on a different host. So basically you kick out the source sensor that no longer provides data as it is paused (while still keeping the sensor itself of course) and replace it instead with the newly created sensor as source in the channel.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 15, 2018 2:30:51 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Paessler-Team,

also from my side: I would appreciate a configurable behaviour of the states in a business process sensor.

We monitor a sum of 14 http sensor world wide. If one fails a traffic light shows red. In case a whole site is temp offline the http sensor of this site is paused by dependency. But I do not need my traffic light to be red in this case. (I know that is not the origin use case of a business process sensor, but it is a use case)

If I could decide in a business process sensor how to handle a pause state (up or down) it would be more flexible. BTW that applies to all states. I can imagine that an acknowledge sensor should also be ignored (up) in some szenatios.

Please consider to implement such an option. Thank you! Michael

Created on Jan 4, 2019 7:49:29 AM

Votes:

Thank you, Michael. I would recommend you post this "officially" as a feature request as mentioned here.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 4, 2019 10:43:47 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.