What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor link

Votes:

Please consider to create Sensor Link. It's functionality would be a mix of Sensor Factory or Library. Within a Device or Group of devices I would like to place a sensor or device which is defined and running in a different place of device tree (most probably it would be a different Probe). But it should be just a link to a right place without copying or manipulating source data. The target is to have in one place devices spreaded out through different zones of network infrastructure. Pros of Sensor Link would be avoiding Library usage (I am still not convinced to use it) and avoiding Sensor Factory which has a high performance impact and creates additional amount of data.

factory-sensor link sensor

Created on Jun 21, 2016 11:29:33 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Tomasz,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm afraid so far we have received no other requests for such a feature so we have to see, if other users agree, to evaluate if we put it on the wish list or not. Let's see if others join in on this request!

best regards.

Created on Jun 22, 2016 11:41:41 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like that. We depend more and more on SAAS solutions that have their own monitoring url's We are now grouping all of them in one place, but we would like to show them also in the devices of the systems that are utilizing them.

So idea seconded!

Created on Oct 7, 2021 7:39:21 AM

Votes:

Hi Rik,

Please consider raising an official Feature Request on our knowledge base.

It's the best chance your request is seen by our product owners and will give other users the change to upcote it.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 8, 2021 1:19:30 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would absolutely love this, or even a device link. From time to time, I have the need to replicate a monitored devica at a different place of the (really big) tree. The only way to do it now is to clone it, thus duplicating the performance impact of monitoring the device.

It could be done, however, by creating a map, but to do it straight in the tree would be greatly appreciated.

Created on Dec 6, 2021 1:11:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.