What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PING sensor naming

Votes:

I am about to configure my instance of PRTG with 1000 devices, as part of that setup I would like to use the ping sensor for each device that I add.

the problem I have is that when I come to add a new device, the default name for the PING is PING 1, PING 2, PING 3, etc etc... this is not good enough when I come to report on that sensor or if PRTG sends an error on that sensor because the name is completely ambiguous.

What steps do I need to follow to get the ping sensor to adopt the hostname of device it belongs to? for instance:

PING to sw-Manchester-01

Assistance appreciated

hostname ping sensor

Created on Aug 11, 2016 3:03:11 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi all, i suggested a more gobal feature which contains this one in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/90981-open-customize-default-naming-for-devices-and-sensors-global-custom-naming-conventions. Please upvote. Best, Matin

Created on Oct 28, 2022 9:04:14 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid such a change would have to happen manually. Automatically renaming sensors to contain the parent device's name is not possible. Sorry.
Reports do show parent devices though by default for each sensor.

best regards.

Created on Aug 15, 2016 10:48:11 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply Torsten, is this something that you would consider releasing a patch for in the future? it would certainly make things much more sensible and easier when adding ping based sensors to a device.

Created on Aug 15, 2016 10:55:40 AM

Votes:

I can definitely add it to the wish list, to see if other users would like to have such a feature as well.

Created on Aug 15, 2016 11:16:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, that would be very good if you were able to do that.

Steve Hyde.

Created on Aug 15, 2016 11:25:25 AM

Votes:

Its frustrating. i have plenty of Ping Sensors and would like to name them with %host as well, so that they show up on Alarm MAP. I don't think that we are the only two whom want this naming abillity?

Created on May 18, 2020 8:28:50 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

We don't have such a feature requests very often. However, you can create a feature request in our knowledge base. Please follow this article of you want to create a feature request.

However, you can also write a script which changes the name with the following API call:

/api/rename.htm?id=objectid&value=newname

Created on May 18, 2020 10:12:12 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I work with PRTG since 10 Year now and Renaming of PINF Sensores to "Ping %Hostname" is one of the most anoing things in PRTG... Just see a list of all your ping sensores without a hostnaem behind is very helpless..

Created on Sep 18, 2020 10:12:33 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback.

If you would like to have this feature added in PRTG, I would recommend to create a feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

I checked the list of feature request and did not find this one.

Created on Sep 18, 2020 1:05:45 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi all, i suggested a more gobal feature which contains this one in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/90981-open-customize-default-naming-for-devices-and-sensors-global-custom-naming-conventions. Please upvote. Best, Matin

Created on Oct 28, 2022 9:04:14 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.