What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to deploy PRTG Server using a template installation

Votes:

Hi,

I have a PRTG Server, all configured to monitor itself using the default sensors. I'm doing this because it's easier to run notifications/exe locally when a threshold trigger is breached.

I would like to use the same configurations on other machines. Those machines have different names and probably different IPs, etc. But again, they would only monitor themselves using the default sensors, no other sensors are needed for now.

Is it possible to zip up already configured installation of PRTG Server folder, silent install PRTG Server on other machines, stop the Server and Probe services on them and just overwrite/drop files/import registry/etc. and the run the services again.

Will this work? Any better solution? I would like to automate all the above using powershell.

configuration installation powershell prtg

Created on Aug 18, 2016 2:03:39 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Since you want to setup further PRTG instances that only monitor the machines they are running, you could also just go with the one PRTG installation you already have and install additional Remote Probes on the other machines you want to monitor locally, which is far more "lightweight" than running a dedicated PRTG installation on each machine. You only need to make sure the Remote Probes can connect to the PRTG server on port 23560, while everything is managed by the one PRTG server installation, no need to update several PRTG instances, only one.

In case you want to migrate an existing PRTG to another machine anyway, please find here switches for silent installation. Furthermore here which files and registry paths are of relevance.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 19, 2016 11:14:24 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, as I mentioned this is mostly because of Notification/EXE, in that the scripts we have right now are made to run locally. And PRTG notification/exe can only run on the server, correct?

I'm sure changing them to take in parameters such as IP addresses is straight forward enough but at the moment, pressed for time, i'd have use this setup of installing PRTG servers on every server.

The servers themselves are over spec'd, they never go above %1 when our software is active, and it'll only be for 1-2 seconds.

Back to my question though, will PRTG understand and correct the change of IP/Computer Name?

Thanks!

Created on Aug 19, 2016 6:19:14 PM

Votes:

Yes, it's true that everything regarding notifications is executed by the "Core" of a PRTG installation. If you are referring to using a host's IP/hostname for script notifications, this can be passed as %host to your notification scripts. See also PRTG Placeholders Overview.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 22, 2016 3:37:36 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, I'm referring to PRTG ability to detect changes in IP/Computer Name since I basically moved an existing PRTG installation to another computer.

Also I tried using /SILENT and nothing comes up, there should be an installation progress window, I tried waiting for over 10 minutes.

I am also unable to delete that installation file. Terminating an svchost.exe instance that is taking a lot of CPU and Memory allows me to finally delete.

As expected nothing was installed, no folder was created, etc.

Please help. Silent install is important to the automation I'd like to do.

Created on Aug 23, 2016 4:23:59 PM

Votes:

That's right, the progress window should appear when using "/SILENT" switch. Please check folder C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp. There you should find an installation log named like Setup Log year-month-day #number.txt.

Kind regards.

Created on Aug 24, 2016 8:20:20 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.