What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Monitoring of ASP.NET req per second and requests queued

Votes:

Hello, I'm trying to create a custom sensor package for some API/WEB servers that we run. The metrics I need to collect are as follows: CPU Util (builtin) Memory Util (builtin) Avg response time to IIS (builtin) ASP.net Requests per second ASP.net requests queued

The last two are giving me fits. I know that I have to use the PERF_COUNTERS on the servers, but I can't find a sensor to match.

Is there a guide, or set-by-step instructions, on how to configure the PERF-COUNTERS, then create a custom sensor to monitor the ASP.NET targets above?

Thanks, In Advance, TMK

asp-net custom-sensor iis

Created on Sep 8, 2016 6:57:09 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,
thank you for your KB-post.

Did you check the following guide to locate available performance counters on Windows Systems using perfmon.exe?

These Performance Counters can then be used within the PerfCounter Custom sensor.

On a side-note, since you're monitoring a web-server on which you run your own code, consider the following for very flexible monitoring/sensors:

1. Create a webpage that is only accessible internally (or by PRTG) which queries and parses all relevant counters and generate an XML-like document that complies with PRTG's API for custom Sensors. There's an example in JSON and XML available here.
  2. Within PRTG, deploy an HTTP Data Advanced sensor pointing to the URL of your "monitoring page", i.e. http://myserver.local/prtgmonitoring
  3. The sensor will display on channel for each metric in the xml-document, it allows limits and alerts like any other sensor.

You can also have multiple XML-sites/documents on your webserver to publish different statistics (IIS, Application, SQL, etc). This is performance-wise a lot better/faster than using the PerfCounter Custom sensor as PRTG doesn't have to perform the whole WMI/Windows authentication and connection, only HTTP requests.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 9, 2016 12:28:29 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Awesome! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Created on Sep 9, 2016 8:20:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.