What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI - 80041064: The user specified a username/password/authority on a local connection

Votes:

Hi everyone,

I have an WMI error code in our PRTG environment and I can't find a real solution on the web.

The Message shows:

"80041064: The user specified a username/password/authority on a local connection. The user must use a blank username/password and rely on default security.- Note: the OS version of the device could not be determined, WMI might not work reliably."

The thing is, that this happens only on one machine with the free disk and memory sensor. All other WMI sensors on the other machines are working correctly. The sensors worked well but suddenly both failed. The CPU load sensor is working the whole time.

Thanks for your feedback!

cpu-load wmi wmi-free-disk-sensor wmimemorysensor

Created on Sep 19, 2016 11:31:13 AM

Last change on Sep 21, 2016 10:15:14 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello tobiasnikola,
thank you for your KB-Post.

• Which Windows version runs on the target System and on the PRTG Probe that is polling this device?

Did you review our general WMI troubleshooting guides?

Please also make sure that you're running the up-to-date stable PRTG Version for best results.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 21, 2016 10:18:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano Lingnau,

thanks for your quick reply to my KB-Post. I have successfully fixed the WMI sensors for Free Disk and Memory. The rebuilt of the repository seems to be solution. I tried a lot of the command prompts and some reboots and now it is working again.

The system is a Windows Server 2008 SP2 64bit.

Best Regards, Tobias Nikola

Created on Sep 21, 2016 1:12:17 PM

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

• the good news first: the wmi sensors worked for about 2h
  • the bad news: they stopped working again Now I've disabled the windows authentication for this special server and the wmi sensors are working again. I hope this will be the final result.

Regards Tobias

Created on Sep 22, 2016 7:02:18 AM

Votes:

Hello, I've the same problem. The OS versione is Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1.

Thank you.

Best Regards, Rolando

Created on Nov 23, 2016 11:32:06 AM

Votes:

Hello Rolando,

please review the following suggestions/links

And make sure that you're running the very latest available PRTG Version, which is currently 16.4.27.7141.

Created on Nov 23, 2016 11:46:35 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.