What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I install PRTG in a Virtual Machine with Linux as OS

Votes:

I would like to use PRTG. However we can only install it in a virtual machine. Can I use Linux OS in the virtual machine to run the PRTG? Thank you

installation linux linux-os

Created on Sep 26, 2016 6:15:52 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Currently it is not possible to install PRTG Core Server on Linux/Unix systems. In order to run a PRTG core server you need a Windows machine. Based on experience we strongly recommend that you run PRTG on real hardware (especially when using more than 5,000 sensors). If you must run PRTG on a virtual machine, support for performance issues will be limited.

Please see our system/OS requirements and a useful link under:

Best regards

Created on Sep 26, 2016 11:14:08 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Now, 2,5 years later, are there any plans for a Linux version of PRTG? As we are migrating all our servers to Linux and our PRTG server is the only Windows server left.

Created on Jan 21, 2019 10:32:19 AM

Votes:

Dear GuiltyNL, thanks for your KB post.

Actually, there is still no PRTG version for Linux OS available. Also, there are currently no plans to implement this in the near future.

Please use one of the supported Windows versions as OS for your PRTG Core Server.

Best regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Jan 21, 2019 10:48:01 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

I would love to see PRTG host available for Linux distro. I am having an issue with Windows hosts.

Created on Feb 4, 2019 2:19:12 PM

Votes:

It is a pity that you don't work on a Linux version. The PRTG server is the last Windows server in our network and when our license period comes to an end we won't renew as we don't want Windows servers in our network anymore for several good reasons.

Created on Apr 18, 2019 7:25:16 PM

Votes:

Well, probes might be available natively in Linux one day, but the Core server is a different beast. Did you consider PRTG Hosted already? Although that requires a Remote Probe within your network as well... :/

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 18, 2019 7:41:25 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I second that. We had some windows server, but I don't like Windows servers for numerous reason. They are only maintained for compatibility sake, and I prefer not to. With the last server migrated to linux, I don't see a reason why I have to run any Windows anymore. Thank you for your work, though.

Created on May 31, 2019 3:33:24 AM

Votes:

Duly noted, thanks! :)

Created on May 31, 2019 6:04:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I agree have to take down our core monitoring server once a month for Windows Updates is not a good practice.

If there were an option to run a HA pair of core servers that would be better if keeping Windows is a must.

Created on Feb 18, 2020 1:52:19 PM

Votes:

I forgot to mention the gaps in are graphs is also a big problem. If there is not way around this we'll have to look at other solutions.

Created on Feb 18, 2020 1:54:27 PM

Votes:

Well, you can use the Failover Clustering for that. Unfortunately, we cannot change the way Microsoft is handling their updates or restart requirements, nor can we tick a checkbox "Compile For Linux" within our IDE's, unfortunately.

There are many monitoring solutions out there for Linux, like Nagios, Zabbix, LibreNMS, which may suit your requirements better, if it has to be a linux flavoured solution for the time being :)

Created on Feb 19, 2020 8:52:57 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 16, 2021 12:46:37 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.