What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sFTP sensor for Windows is it avalaible in PRTG

Votes:

Hello,

I recently secured by FTP server using an SSL certificate. However now the normal FTP sensor does not work as it shows that the "connection was terminated gracefully". I want to add the SFTP sensor in PRTG but it is only showing me that it is supported in Linux, which I do not use. I need it for Windows. Does PRTG provide that or can anyone help me get this setup?

Thanks,

sensor sftp windows

Created on Jan 5, 2017 8:24:52 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please note that SFTP does not mean SSL secured FTP server. An SFTP server is a secured FTP Server which uses local SSH accounts of an Linux Host (simple described). What you have is an SSL secured FTP Server (still a FTP Server). So please activate the following option within the sensor setting of the FTP sensor: Use Transport-Level Security if available and check if it is working afterwards.

Created on Jan 6, 2017 1:06:17 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

That did not work. I changed the port to 22 used "Use Transport-Level Security if available" and even entered in the credentials but it still give me but I am still getting "Connection closed gracefully".

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Created on Jan 6, 2017 4:00:41 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

To clarify this, a SSL secured FTP server is not a SFTP server. A SSL secured FTP server is running by default on port 21 (or 990 with Implicit encryption). So please check if you are using a SFTP server (SSH for file transfers) or a SSL secured FTP server (like VSFTPD or ProFTPD). Additonally, what sensor are you using? The FTP sensor or SFTP sensor, the SFTP sensor is using the SSH credentials (as it is basically SSH just for file transfers).

Created on Jan 9, 2017 7:07:42 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same question. I run a windows server that runs an sftp (ssh) software on port 22. PRTG only has an SFTP sensor for linux. I do not see any SSH sensor that I can add to a windows device. SFTP is a major part of our infrastructure that I need to monitor so if I can't do it with PRTG than I will have to look for another monitoring tool. I installed it yesterday and am still in the testing phase.

Created on Dec 28, 2018 2:09:19 PM

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm not sure if I got you right here. Please let me know if you are using a SFTP Server or a SSL secured FTP server. My colleague Dariusz explained the difference here.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 2, 2019 3:41:08 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I stumbled over this topic here, because I have an Windows SFTP server (Bitvise) running, which I wanted to monitor.

And I can confirm that the SFTP sensor is working also for Windows, you just need to set the login credentials of your SFTP account in the device settings under "Credentials for Linux/Solaris/Mac OS (SSH/WBEM) Systems".

Created on Apr 15, 2020 7:53:47 AM

Votes:

I too can confirm that the SFTP sensor is working for Windows !!! Before configuring this sensor you need to set the login credentials of your SFTP account in the device settings under "Credentials for Linux/Solaris/Mac OS (SSH/WBEM) Systems". And disable "inherent from Parent" for this particular sensor (SFTP sensor)

Created on May 10, 2022 12:15:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.