What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Huawei OceanStor

Votes:

Hi

we bought a new storage, the model is Huawei oceanstor. We tried to monitor it via snmp but without success. Is there an integrated template like the one we are using for our old netapp storage?

huawei snmp storage

Created on Jan 18, 2017 8:25:18 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear michelescapini,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post.

Kindly note, that we currently don't have built-in sensor for Huawei's Oceanstor.

Please allow us to review the SNMP results provided by your device, for this we'll need you to download our latest SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform a "Read Device Uptime" against the target device.
Additionally, please perform a "Walk" on the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1 on the device. Which results do you get in the Tester?

Kindly, configure the Device's IP/Port and SNMP Credentials accordingly.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 18, 2017 1:00:17 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Sebastian for quick reply

I carried out the tests and I loaded the logs on my onedrive here is the link: removed

thans Michele

Created on Jan 18, 2017 1:50:17 PM

Last change on Jan 19, 2017 6:12:02 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Michele,

Thank you, I can confirm that we received the result. I did not post it to the kb, as it could contain sensible data. Please bear with us while I review the log file.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 19, 2017 6:14:20 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Michele,

Please contact the device's vendor and ask for the specific MIB file for that device. Alternatively, check this knowledge base post on "Where can I find MIB files for my device?".

Afterwards, please import the MIB file using Paessler's MIB Importer.
Kindly check "How can I import my MIB files into PRTG?" for further information.

Please don't hesitate to contact me, if you encounter any issues while creating SNMP based sensors for your device.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 19, 2017 2:43:11 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I apologize for the delay I downloaded the MIB on the Huawei site, but have not found a general control of the health system as is present for netapp (netapp health system). Netapp in only one sensor carries out these checks:

Channel 			ID	Last Value	Minimum		Maximum
Active Restore			2	0 #		0 #		0 #	
CPU Load			0	10 %		2 %		71 %	
Current CIFS Users		1	1 #		1 #		2 #	
Disks Active			8	49 #		36 #		49 #	
Disks being Added		15	0 #		0 #		13 #	
Disks being Scrubbed		12	0 #		0 #		49 #	
Disks Failed			13	0 #		0 #		6 #	
Disks Failing Soon		16	0 #		0 #		1 #	
Disks out of date		17	0 #		0 #		0 #	
Disks Reconstructing		9	0 #		0 #		2 #	
Disks Reconstructing Parity	10	0 #		0 #		0 #	
Disks Spare			14	5 #		3 #		18 #	
Disks Total			7	54 #		40 #		54 #	
Disks Verifying Parity		11	0 #		0 #		0 #	
Downtime			-4		 	 	
Environment Over Temperature	18	No		No		No	
Fans Failed			3	0 #		0 #		0 #	
FileSystem Overall Status	19	OK		OK		OK	
Max Used Disk Space		5	89 %		84 %		89 %	
Max Used INodes			6	1 %		1 %		1 %	
Power Supplies Failed		4	0 #		0 #		0 #

Created on Jan 31, 2017 2:03:42 PM

Last change on Feb 1, 2017 1:57:16 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Michele,

Please provide us the Huawei MIB for further analysis.

Kindly note, that in contrast to our SNMP NetApp System Health sensor, we don't have a built-in sensor for the Huawei OceanStor. The development of a dedicated sensor, such as the SNMP NetApp System Health, is rather time consuming. I'll be honest with you and it is unlikely that we'll see a dedicated sensor for the OceanStor soon.

However and according to your previously provided Walk, you probably can create a custom sensor set for the OceanStor. Alhough, it will be more than a single sensor (maybe 10, maybe 20) I guess.

Again, you will have to get in touch with the vendor to clarify which OID is necessary to create sensors for the requiered information in particular.
While we provide support for our software, we can't support custom sensor creation in detail, I'm sorry.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 1, 2017 2:39:35 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.