What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disable device renaming on AutoDiscover?

Votes:

Is it possible to disable the device renaming during auto-discover?

This is a very frustrating 'feature'.

Every device manually created has to be renamed again after auto-discovery, then potentially again in the future if it's scanned again.

The problem is we have application servers with multiple DNS entries for each service or site, PRTG just seems to pick one at random and assign it as the device name.

auto-discovery device

Created on Feb 27, 2017 12:01:59 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Matt,

I understand your pain, although four replies in three years, including little complaints about this in our helpdesk are not making it easy to increase priority on this one.

@Matt I took the freedom to include your description into the actual feature request:

Disable Device renaming on Auto Discovery-enabled Groups

Please, feel free to upvote the same. If enough people want this, according to the upvotes, we'll see what we can do here.

Created on Oct 2, 2020 2:16:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

It's not possible to disable this "feature". The devices should only be renamed once, after the initial auto discovery. After that, you can rename them manually and they should stay like that despite the auto discovery being run.

Created on Feb 28, 2017 6:59:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

"It's not possible"? This is a very unsatisfactory answer. Auto discovery should not "discover" a device's name if it already has a name. I know this topic is a year old but I see no useful answer to it. It's a highly irritating "feature" and I would like to turn it off.

Created on Mar 14, 2019 1:24:06 AM

Votes:

Then you'll need to disable the auto discovery on a the group level and configure it at the device level instead :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 15, 2019 9:54:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'd also like to chime in over a year later - this would be extremely useful to be able to turn off. If I'm adding a device and giving it a name, PRTG shouldn't over write that name with whatever it finds - I've given it the name I want already. I don't want it to put my name in brackets after the device's IP address. If I did, guess what - that's what I'd have put in the name field!

It's a minor thing, but it adds an unnecessary step to configuring new devices. It makes no sense to have to name a device two times to get it how I want it. If you're saying we'd have to disable auto-discover to get the desired behaviour, that means adding device sensors manually just so I can keep the name I chose. That's not a solution, that's a workaround.

Please at least give us the option to turn this off properly.

Created on Oct 1, 2020 10:41:56 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Matt,

I understand your pain, although four replies in three years, including little complaints about this in our helpdesk are not making it easy to increase priority on this one.

@Matt I took the freedom to include your description into the actual feature request:

Disable Device renaming on Auto Discovery-enabled Groups

Please, feel free to upvote the same. If enough people want this, according to the upvotes, we'll see what we can do here.

Created on Oct 2, 2020 2:16:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'll go ahead and add a reply and upvote the feature request. Its very laborious and quite irritating to have to rename a device each time an auto discovery runs.

Created on Jan 16, 2021 1:05:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.