What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Showing the APC UPS runtime in minutes

Votes:

Hi, I wish to use the "ups adv battery run time remaining" to show me the remaining runtime on UPS with the ACP network interface card. I have it reporting to PRTG successfully, but there is something wrong with the values.

The card interface shows 3 hours and 20 minutes. The PRTG sensor shows 1,200,000. I tried to use the division field to adjust the number of minutes is should be (200), but that didn't work out.

However, I did a test, unplug the UPS, and then monitored the runtime both on the web interface and PRTG. The web interface showed a slow steady drop, while PRTG immediately dropped to 888,000. When I plugged the UPS back in, the graph did have a steady rise back to 1,200,000. So it seems their is a problem with values that are reported when the UPS looses line power.

So any recommendations as to how I can get true runtime remaining with this sensor?

apc division mib powernet scale snmp timeticks ups

Created on Apr 26, 2017 8:21:57 PM

Last change on Apr 27, 2017 6:34:10 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

I use a Custom SNMP with OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0 and a divisor of 6000.

That is for a Smart-UPS RT 1000 XL

Created on Apr 27, 2017 5:56:53 AM

Votes:

Hello kentravis, thank you for your KB-Post.

The mentioned metric, as defined by the MIB provides a value in Timeticks:

upsAdvBatteryRunTimeRemaining1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3
DescriptionThe UPS battery run time remaining before battery exhaustion.
OBJECT-TYPETimeTicks

This is RFC-2758's definition for Timeticks:

The TimeTicks type represents a non-negative integer which represents
   the time, modulo 2^32 (4294967296 decimal), in hundredths of a second
   between two epochs.  When objects are defined which use this ASN.1
   type, the description of the object identifies both of the reference
   epochs.

[...]

7.1.8. TimeTicks

This means that you have the following alternatives:

1. Divide the value by 100 to get a reading in seconds.
  2. Divide the value by 6000 to get a reading in minutes. (As suggested by AndrewG, also my favorite choice)

However, I did a test, unplug the UPS, and then monitored the run-time both on the web interface and PRTG. The web interface showed a slow steady drop, while PRTG immediately dropped to 888,000. When I plugged the UPS back in, the graph did have a steady rise back to 1,200,000. So it seems their is a problem with values that are reported when the UPS looses line power.

This is not a problem with PRTG but how the device actually behaves: Based on my personal experience, you'll see a very large drop as soon as the device enters battery mode. It will however slowly get more steady after a couple of minutes. This happens because the device takes some time under load to figure the actual depletion rate with the current load and provide an accurate estimation. As to why the web-interface behaves differently, only the vendor would be able to explain that.

On a side note, there are some ready-to-use APC Sensors available here:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Apr 27, 2017 6:33:37 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Apr 27, 2017 10:26:23 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Problem solved with the templates - it worked great. Thanks for your help.

Created on Apr 28, 2017 4:01:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.