What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Mass change notifications using libraries (ONLY)

Votes:

Quick overview on out notification stratergy:

We set a notification (state trigger) on the root and made all devices/sensors inherent to this.

However now, we want for CPU, MEM, Windows Updates, no notifications during nights. You can set notifications using library for this, however these are EXTRA notifications.

Is the only solution to go to every sensor and click "only use triggers below" to solve this?

inheritance libraries notifications

Created on Jul 13, 2017 8:41:12 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Correct, though using a library is the quicker way, since you can add sensors based on type/tags automatically to the library node(s). Approaching it this way has also the advantage that new sensors of that type/tag will automatically be added to the library and thus inherit the library's notifications.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 14, 2017 10:46:26 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your answers Erhard, however that's not my problem... My problem is, if you use it like this... you cannot say "only" use the notification triggers which are defined on the library sensors. You also get the inherent notification unless you go to the sensor one by one and change the setting "only use the triggers below"... that problem I want to avoid.

Created on Jul 14, 2017 11:23:38 AM

Votes:

Ah, ok, I see. In this case I'm afraid you indeed have to alter this individually for each sensor, since it's not possible to bulk-edit the inheritance of notification triggers.

Created on Jul 14, 2017 12:57:53 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can I add a feature request?

This is really a huge amount of work as I have to go to every cpu, mem, pagefile, windows update sensor of each server. Would be nice if you can set this in the library

Created on Jul 14, 2017 1:03:58 PM

Votes:

I will address it to development, bulk-editing notification settings for objects (devices, sensors etc.) in certain ways comes up every now and then, though I can't tell right now if it will receive much attention or will be postponed until further notice or maybe will even be rejected I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 17, 2017 2:46:08 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you.

Bulk-editing notification is even not needed. If you can say in the library "only use library notification" the requirement is solved.

Created on Jul 18, 2017 6:25:18 AM

Votes:

I would also find this feature very useful.

Created on Sep 12, 2018 12:23:17 PM

Votes:

The feature request is still in development's backlog, there are currently several things done for improving handling of notification settings and this is one of them, currently no ETA yet though.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 12, 2018 12:48:01 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Adding my support for this. We would like to convert our root sensor notifications to library notifications across many sensors. So that is not possible at this time?

Created on Dec 11, 2018 3:17:59 AM

Votes:

Hello Owen,

The current status is the same as in my last post, nothing new here, I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 11, 2018 9:45:07 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.