What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI or API Windows Event Log Sensor not reporting errors

Votes:

I am trying to achieve backup failure reporting within the PRTG software by way of the WMI or API event log sensor.

I have recently created two sensors on a server to check for a specific event in the Application Event Log. Both the WMI and Windows API sensor fail to report the events I know are present in the event log and the sensors report Last Message: OK.

This is the provided guide to the events created: https://kb.acronis.com/eventlogs

The event is present in the event log as seen here:

This guide: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/59803-my-event-log-sensor-ignores-changes-in-the-event-log-what-can-i-do tries to address the problem but refers to the following steps:

Filtering for 'Errors' in the Source 'Backup'

After creating a corresponding filter in the sensor settings which only analyzes specific events (in this example only the event type “Error”), you can achieve this by conducting three steps:

1. Open the settings of the sensor’s default primary channel New Records.

2. Enable Limits in the corresponding section at the bottom of the settings dialog.

3. Enter 0,0001 in the Upper Error Limit (#/s) field.

The above is not present in the WMI sensor as the only options available for the primary channel are: New Records and Downtime.

I am unable to proceed with this guide. It may be outdated, I'm unsure. I am now stuck, the sensor reports everything is OK but there are events that correspond to the filter in the log.

prtg remote-probe wmi-eventlog

Created on Jul 18, 2017 10:16:52 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello wmcdade,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Please contact us via a support ticket instead. We'll require data for troubleshooting that's not trivial to share on the KB. The Support Bundle can be sent via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface or from within Setup > Contact support.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 20, 2017 8:31:52 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.