What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG use a client SSL certicate?

Votes:

I've been asked to set up a sensor that would require PRTG to use a client SSL certificate to authenticate with the target web server. Is that possible, and if so how I would I set it up?

authentication prtg ssl

Created on Aug 9, 2010 11:09:00 PM

10 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

No, sorry, PRTG can not make use of your client certificate for https monitoring requests.

Created on Aug 10, 2010 2:23:00 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Hi,

Is there some good news ? We have the same problem...

Regards,

Matthieu

Created on Aug 19, 2016 1:33:17 PM

Votes:

Hi Matthieu,

I'm afraid that there is no update to monitor HTTP sites using a client's SSL certificate so far, sorry.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 22, 2016 7:25:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

same here. Need to monitor HTTP sites using SSL client certificates.

Any plans to add support for client certificates?

Regards

Detlev

Created on Jul 7, 2017 8:10:31 AM

Votes:

Hello Detlev,

Unfortunately, I can still provide the same answer as above. There are currently no plans to add this feature to PRTG.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 10, 2017 7:00:56 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 for people who'd love to have this feature

Created on Jun 27, 2018 1:39:28 PM

Votes:

Any updates on this? We see more and more webservices being secured with client authentication. There are several webservices which we can't monitor because PRTG doesn't support client authentication with certificates.

Created on Mar 21, 2019 11:51:46 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there are no satisfying news regarding this matter.

Feel free to create an official feature request and link the thread here to raise awareness.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 21, 2019 5:31:37 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 for this feature. Was quite surprised to find out it's not implemented yet

Created on Jul 6, 2021 12:42:49 PM

Votes:

Need support for this even if client presents invalid certificate to utilize Security and Certificate sensors for services running on HTTPS non-standard TLS channels. Would have to resort to offline certificate management to manage expiration.

Created on Oct 4, 2021 7:06:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.