What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP recollection

Votes:

I have a handful of switches in a group that does an auto-discovery every night for unknown IP addresses in a subnet. This has worked fine, but now I have issues. I do it for unknown devices so that it does not rediscover all of the switch interfaces from ifmib. This could be a few hundred. How can I have it do an auto-discovery for the known devices but not add new interfaces from the ifmib just the ones I have already added as sensors? I want it to just check the ifname and update the sensor with the OID for the relevant sensor every night when it does an auto-discovery. Thanks

auto-discovery oid snmp

Created on Oct 25, 2017 1:13:24 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hey tvc15,

Thank you for your KB-posting.

Please note that auto--discovery cannot be used to change anything on already existing sensors. They can only be used to deploy new sensors to your devices automatically.

Nevertheless, in order to automatically update your sensors if the ifName has changed, please refer to this KB-article which addresses this topic.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Oct 26, 2017 7:08:06 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.