What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can i setup exclusions in the MAP's traffic lights

Votes:

Hello,

Currently i have come across an issue, where we would like to divide several responsibilities, by creating several maps per department which show only the sensors important for that department, and a traffic light or each map only showing errors for that map.

Since we initially did not group our devices properly, we now have working maps whit traffic lights, also showing the error states from other groups, since we have always used the probe level for the traffic lights, i rather customize the traffic light, than to change the whole structure of groups + devices in order to realize the possibility to split traffic lights, something i know will get me what i need. (Basically creating separate groups per department, setting up the traffic light to that group)

My question; Is it possible to somehow customize the traffic lights, to setup exclusions, to not monitor a certain group. I tried google, but it didn't bring me to this question, also checked the KB articles here, so my apologies if i overlooked the answer to my question.

Many thanks in advanced !

Kind regards,

Kevin

map-objects traffic-light-customization trafficlight

Created on Oct 30, 2017 11:37:07 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

I would use the Business Process Sensor to group together the groups in question.

You can then link the traffic lights to those business process sensors.

Please see this kb article for how the status is calculated for the traffic lights.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/66647-how-does-the-business-process-sensor-calculate-summarized-sensor-states

Created on Oct 31, 2017 12:13:08 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately it seems a little involved, I was hoping for some kind of custom HTML sensor, which can replicate the traffic light but looks similar, but with exceptions / exclusions on group level with the possibility to connect multiple groups, I like the method described, but it seems more involved to me than to change the root structure, and setup some groups in order to setup maps, and change map designs after this grouping action.

It would have been nice, if the select object option, links the objects to the traffic light, in stead of making it a URL on the traffic light....

Thanks again, I think the information is clear, other suggestions are much appreciated !

Kind regards

Created on Nov 1, 2017 2:07:16 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.