What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Check for Website error codes

Votes:

hi , I need to add sensor to website to check for error code like 500,404,401. or if it is 200 then say OK .How can I achieve it ? I need to do this with IIS logs.Only reading IIS log file and searching for particular string e.g. 500 using File Content sensor will not work as it will show 500 anywhere in logs though its not error code. What is best way to monitor IIS logs for such error codes?

Thank you in advance!

custom-sensor iis website

Created on Dec 27, 2017 12:51:59 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Check this link, this should allow you to distinguish between the status.

Best, Felix

Created on Dec 28, 2017 9:26:54 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. But I don't want to use HTTP sensor for this. I only need to check IIS log files for such error codes. What should I do?

Created on Jan 1, 2018 6:44:33 AM

Votes:

The File Content Sensor allows you to check log files for particular words. Please note that the sensor just works for files which do not change their names. If the name changes, you can write your own script, the required syntax is described on the Setup > PRTG API > Custom Sensors page.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 1, 2018 9:27:13 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.