What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sflow Problem with HP 7500

Votes:

Hello We activated sflow on our HP 7500 switch as explained in the HP manual. Executing the SFlow test we see that everything works smoothly except that the Data Format reports all packages failed. So we infer that the switch is not executing the Flow Data format in the Raw pachet Header.

Obviously if we are going to activate a SFlow sensor on the PRTG monitor this is never populated and is waiting for data.

We wanted to ask you if you have already dealt with a similar issue and if there is a resolvable reason. in the documentation of HP we did not find anything about SFlow Data format.

Thanks for the attention Best regards

hp raw-pachet-header sflow

Created on Jan 24, 2018 4:12:39 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Do you see any flows within our SFlow Tester? Note that the original sensor needs to be paused in order for the tester to occupy the port.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 26, 2018 2:47:20 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan, thank you so much for your answer

Yes, in the box "Decoded Flows..." there are lines of visible flows, the only anomaly is that in the box PRTG Compatibility the "(6) Data Format:" has the same number under "OK" and "Failed".

if we then activate SFlow Sensor, it remains perpetually awaiting data.

thank you for your time

Regards

Created on Jan 29, 2018 7:51:40 AM

Votes:

Could you post a screenshot of that? Thanks!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Suppor Team

Created on Jan 29, 2018 8:12:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please drop us a mail via [email protected] and lets continue there, since the screenshots are containing IP addreses which should stay unpublished. Please also provide me with the settings. The traffic is rather large, about a terabyte for one connection for example. Does this match the actual traffic?

Created on Jan 31, 2018 8:35:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Was there any resolution on this? I am trying PRTG and hoping to buy but all attempts to get my HP 5406 using sFlow to PRTG are failing. However if I stop the sFlow sensor and use the Tester it is flowing - but like the original poster - the failed packets equal the ok packets and no data ever shows in the sensor. I have tried both sFlow and sFlow custom.

There was a another thread https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/74967-sflow-problems-with-hp-procurve-2810 with the same issue - different HP Procurve switch model.

Created on Apr 13, 2018 2:23:04 PM

Votes:

Not at this time. The user never sent us the flows we needed so we could examine them.

Created on Apr 14, 2018 12:16:18 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Support got back to me on my issue. Nothing to do with the HP or PRTG. My issue was putting the IP address of the switch in the SenderIP field. Leaving that blank solved the issue - simply used the filter fields to narrow the scope.

Scott

Created on Apr 17, 2018 12:31:26 AM

Votes:

Glad to hear it!

Created on Apr 17, 2018 7:31:10 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.