What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Could not create Oracle Tablespace sensor

Votes:

Good morning,

I want to monitor oracle tablespaces, using the existing sensor options.

When I try to create one with the following settings, I get the error message below:

Identifier = Name of the Oracle SID Identification Mode = "Use SID as identifier (default) Sensor Name Prefix = "Do not use a prefix for the sensor name"

Error message:

Could not create the sensor Oracle Tablespace on device <name of the device).

I have verified, that .NET 4.5 ist installed on both, the server, where PRTG is running, as well as on the database server.

The error message also give some hints, what's to check.

The database is in version 11.2.0.4.0, the minimum requirement is 10.2. Requirement is "Requires sufficient privileges for the account, that you use for the connection"... I don't have the possibility to choose, the account to use.

In the settings of the device, I have set the "Credentials for Database Management Systems" not to inherit from the parent group, with the default port, what should be 1521 for Oracle.

By Authentication mode, I can just choose between Windows authentication and SQL server authentication.

I have tried to set SQL server authentication with user system and the password of user system.

But it's still the same.

Do I miss a step to configure something, that the connection is also possible for Oracle DBMS?

Thanks for your input.

Best regards

Rolf

oracle oracle-tablespace oracle-tablespace-sensor tablespace

Created on Mar 5, 2018 10:17:12 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Please follow the steps of this reply to raise the timeout of the meta scans. Start with a value of 20s and see if you can add the Oracle Tablespace sensors properly.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 10, 2018 6:49:47 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

Hi Rolf,

Please try to connect to the database by manually opening the sensor in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\sqlv2.exe". This opens the GUI and you can manually test the connection. Do the scans work from there?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 5, 2018 12:35:45 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

In this GUI, I had to enter an SQL to execute.

For test, I used the Statement "select Count(*) from v$database".

The Connection was successfull and the Statement returned to expected result.

I don't know, if there is someting missing, because in the device Settings, I can't configure Oracle Connection Settings, only SQL Server. ... or is this just a Name and it doesn't matter, which DBMS is behind?

Thanks and best regards

Rolf

Created on Mar 5, 2018 1:13:44 PM

Votes:

Hi Rolf,

Please excuse this mix-up, I was referring to a wrong sensor! I will internally discuss this and will directly get back to you afterwards.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 6, 2018 9:54:57 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same issue. Any News on this? The funny Thing is I was able to create Oracle Tablespace Sensors before but now I get a blank error that the sensor could not be added or a timeout.

I have other orace tablespace sensors running successfully on the same Server. I Even deleted one of the working ones and tried to add it again but I got the same error. Really strange.

BR Michael

Created on Jun 19, 2018 1:37:33 PM

Votes:

Hi Michael,

I'll contact you via mail soon.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 20, 2018 8:08:35 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Support,

facing exactly the same Problem. Could not create Oracle Tablespace Sensor. After entering the correct DB-Name in the "Identifier" Section, the creation of the tablespaces running directly in a timeout.

"Konnte den Sensor Oracle Tablespace auf dem Gerät xxx.xxx (x.x.x.x) nicht erstellen." Timeout (5000 ms)

I updated the PRTG Server to the latest stable Version 18.3.42.1748+

After that, tablespaces are not createable. I did create tablespaces before.

Created on Aug 9, 2018 1:48:48 PM

Votes:

Same issue here. We had a Tablespace sensor in place, and then we upgraded the Oracle DB. Now the old sensor sais: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor And I get the same error as Rolf when trying to create a new one.

Created on Aug 10, 2018 6:36:40 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Please follow the steps of this reply to raise the timeout of the meta scans. Start with a value of 20s and see if you can add the Oracle Tablespace sensors properly.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 10, 2018 6:49:47 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Support Team,

i added the registry key *MetaScanTimeout* to the registry of the prtg-server. Set the timeout to 20s. Restartet the Server - no success. Increased timeout Setting to 30 seconds. restatet Server, no success.

I receive always the same timeout error message, when try to create Oracle Tablespace Sensors. (Timeout 5000)

With the same Settings, i can add and view the whole Database Sensor!

What else can I do to add Oracle Tablespaces?

Best regards

Joerg

Created on Aug 13, 2018 11:19:39 AM

Votes:

Hi Jörg,

The registry key needs to be applied to the (remote-) probe where the sensors are configured in PRTG. This will change the metascan timeout and you should be able to add the sensor.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 13, 2018 12:18:22 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

am I Right, that the correct path in registry for the local probe is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Probes

Otherwise please specify once again the correct path.

Best regards

Joerg

Created on Aug 13, 2018 12:39:33 PM

Votes:

Hallo Felix,

found the failure. I added the "MetaScanTimeout" command with mrkups to the registry. Added the exactly same command without markups and i am able to add the table Space Sensors to the prob. Thanks for your support. Maybe this answer helps others!

Best regards

Jörg

Created on Aug 14, 2018 11:52:40 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.