What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error SNMP_EXCEPTION_NOSUCHINSTANCE

Votes:

Hello

I have a problem with SNMP Traffic Sensor that occurs to a lot of my routers.

1. When I click on Add Sensor and then select SNMP Traffic Sensor, I get the page with all the interfaces of my router.
  2. I select a specific interface and click on Continue.
  3. Everything seems ok, but after a few seconds I get the error:
#N SNMP_EXCEPTION_NOSUCHINSTANCE

If I do a snmpwalk/snmpget I get the correct values. If I use the Paessler SNMP Tester I get no error. I can monitor this specific interface with other tools like MRTG without any problem.

So I don't understand why I get this error with PRTG.

Any idea?

Thank you very much

no-such-instance snmp traffic

Created on Mar 16, 2018 3:56:39 PM

Last change on Mar 19, 2018 11:35:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
we appreciate your contact.

There are three things worth checking:

1. When deploying the sensor, are you selecting any of the "Additional Channels"? (Errors, Discards, etc). If your device or the specific selected interface doesn't support this additional counter, you will get an NOSUCHINSTANCE exception, that's the device telling PRTG it doesn't support the polled/queried OID.
  2. What precise PRTG version are you running? Please make sure that you're either running version 17.x.33 or version 18.x.38. You may encounter random issues when deploying SNMP Traffic sensors in the versions in between. Please update to 18.x.38 to be sure.
  3. Lastly, make sure that you're using a valid Port Name Template and Port Identification in the SNMP Compatibility options of the parent device (were you're trying to deploy the sensors) :
    1. Update Sensor Name when Interface Description Changes

Should the issue persist, I kindly ask that you follow-up via a support case and reference case PAE1011201).

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Mar 19, 2018 11:41:39 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Mar 19, 2018 11:42:02 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello

Thanks to your suggestions, I found the additional channels were not supported by specific interfaces (ATM like)

Thank you very much!

Best Regards Luca

Created on Mar 20, 2018 8:55:50 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.