What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem after Windows Update, wrong message displayed by SNMP custom string sensor

Votes:

I recently updated the Windows server the PRTG core server runs on and I suddenly have the wrong messages in my sensors. The Windows update also restarted the server.

I use a lot of SNMP custom string sensors to get things like the name, description, location or contact of a device. Instead of displaying something like the name of a device they only display an OK as message. Every SNMP custom string sensor I have seen now displays just the OK message after the Windows update. I would have gone back a day using the auto config backup, but I just so happen to have activated a license on the same day I updated the Windows server.

I am not sure how rolling back to a back-up wil affect the license. Can I just go back to a previous configuration and re-enter the license or is there a solution to the SNMP custom string sensors only displaying an OK message instead of an actual string?

error problem-after-windows-update snmp-custom-sensor wrong-message-displayed-in-sensor

Created on Mar 20, 2018 8:42:21 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

I also encounterd this message in the snmp custom string sensors, as well as other snmp sensors:

This sensor has not received data for 4 minutes and 40 second. Please check "SNMP Delay" channel of core/probe health sensor. Consider distributing your SNMP sensors across several probes!

Created on Mar 20, 2018 9:30:03 AM

Votes:

I just got my SNMP sensors to work again. I figured if I pause the sensors and then start them again, they would be forced to get the data again.

The sensors are displaying their strings again as normal. Still weird that this happend. Do I need to look into my SNMP settings?

Created on Mar 20, 2018 9:46:24 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this is a known bug with the Probe/Core Messaging which we will address in a future release. The thing is that this not occurs in all installations and is only happening under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, there is currently little we can do as our devs are working on it.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 20, 2018 11:45:19 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Has there been any update or workaround for this bug? I encountered it again and I had to pause/resume my probe again.

Created on Apr 9, 2018 2:32:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we currently have no version with a fix for this issue. As mentioned, we will release a fixed version with entirely overhauled Core-Probe-Messaging as soon as we are able to.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 10, 2018 7:23:12 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greetings, is it possible to use some kind of timeouts in the settings of PRTG or the administrative tools as a workaround?

I want to see if a timeout for when a probe reconnects will cause it to not display snmp string sensors incorrectly while Paessler is still working on this issue. Maybe after the updates are done and the probe reconnects after that, I won't have to face this problem for the time being.

Created on May 14, 2018 7:19:43 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the only timeout setting is the one that regulates when a probe tries to connect again after it lost the connection. By default this is set to 300 seconds. However I am afraid that this will not have the desired effect for the sensor messages to be displayed properly again.

Best regards.

Created on May 14, 2018 7:56:03 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it feasible to use a schedule and synchronize the Windows update with that schedule to allow for an automatic pause/resume of the probe/sensors? It should be the same as how I first got the snmp strings working again where I also paused and resumed sensors.

Created on May 14, 2018 11:59:59 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

I am afraid that this is not possible. But you could manually define maintenance windows for the tree of PRTG or you could create and add schedules manually.

Created on May 15, 2018 9:18:37 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.