What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Script

Votes:

We've written this script to extract some counter data from our software, The output looks to be formatted correctly but we are still getting the "XML: Junk after document element </prtg> -- JSON: The returned JSON does not match the expected structure (Invalid JSON.). (code: PE231)" error.

The values shown in the output are static, just trying to get something into prtg for now.

Below is the script and output.

Script

$baseURL = "http://ourservice/api/v1/"
$view = "ourservice"
$userName = ""
$password = ""
$application = "PRTG"
#$tagsToRead = @(($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.TagHandles"); ($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.NumClients"))
$tagsToRead = @(($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.TagHandles"))

$authReqBody = "{ 'username':'$userName', 'password':'$password', 'timezone':'Eastern Standard Time', 'application':'$application' }"
$userToken = (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $baseURL"getUserToken" -Method POST -Body $authReqBody | ConvertFrom-Json).userToken
$tagJson = $tagsToRead -join "','"
$reqBody = "{ 'userToken':'$userToken', 'tags': ['" + $tagJson + "'] }"
$tagData = (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri http://ourservice/api/v1/getTagData -Method POST -Body $reqBody).Content

$hashtable = @{}
(ConvertFrom-Json $tagData).psobject.properties | Foreach { $hashtable[$_.Name] = $_.Value }

$hashtableData = @{}
foreach ($prop in $hashtable['data'].PSObject.Properties)
{
	$hashtableData[$prop.Name] = $prop.Value[1]
}

Write-Host @"
<prtg>
<result>
<channel>Handles</channel>
<value>24</value>
</result>
<result>
<channel>clients</channel>
<unit>clients</unit>
<value>4</value>
</result>
<text>Hello</text>
</prtg>
"@

$revokeBody = "{ 'userToken':'$userToken' }"
$revokeResponse = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri http://ourservice/api/v1/revokeUserToken -Method POST -Body $revokeBody 

Output

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML> .\GetDiagnostics.ps1 <prtg> <result> <channel>Handles</channel> <value>24</value> </result> <result> <channel>clients</channel> <unit>clients</unit> <value>4</value> </result> <text>Hello</text> </prtg>

custom-script-exe json powershell

Created on May 7, 2018 1:48:30 PM

Last change on May 7, 2018 1:54:55 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello chrisbrooks, nice script and thank you for your clear inquiry.

Basically, I don't see any issues with the script. Especially, based on the output when you wan it manually. The output looks perfectly valid. I can only guess that the output when the script is run in PRTG is different. I encourage you to have a look here:

Specifically, the ExecutionPolicy configuration is mandatory to get this working from within PRTG (non-interactively).

Regardless of what the cause for the error is, seeing the actual content of the script when run by PRTG usually helps:

Within the Sensor's settings it is possible to set the "EXE Result" to "Write EXE result to disk". Once configured to do so a resulting Text File (Filename: 'Result of Sensor [ID].txt') will be stored under the Logs (Sensors) directory on the next scan of the sensor. This folder's path is by default "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\" of the probe where the sensor is monitored.

I encourage you to enable this log and have a look at the logfile. If it doesn't make any sense to you, please share the output of the file(s) and I"ll be happy to have a look.

Ps.: It may be a wild guess, but I have seen a couple of cases in the past were Invoke-WebRequest needed the -UseBasicParsing as visible here to work when run by PRTG. You might want to try this as well.

Ps2.: User confirmed that -UseBasicParsing solved the issue. Here's the fixed version of the script:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 8, 2018 6:27:54 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on May 10, 2018 10:47:31 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Luciano,

Thank you for the reply. I have to be honest, I did not wrint the script, one of our developers crafted it, he is quite good at his work.

After reading your post I played with the -UseBasicParsing that switch resolved the issue we where seeing.

Thank you very much again, have a great day.

Regards, Chris

Created on May 9, 2018 5:51:56 PM

Votes:

"Fixed" version of the script for reference:

$baseURL = "http://ourservice/api/v1/"
$view = "ourservice"
$userName = ""
$password = ""
$application = "PRTG"
#$tagsToRead = @(($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.TagHandles"); ($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.NumClients"))
$tagsToRead = @(($view + ".{Diagnostics}.Reading.TagHandles"))

$authReqBody = "{ 'username':'$userName', 'password':'$password', 'timezone':'Eastern Standard Time', 'application':'$application' }"
$userToken = (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $baseURL"getUserToken" -Method POST -Body $authReqBody -UseBasicParsing | ConvertFrom-Json).userToken
$tagJson = $tagsToRead -join "','"
$reqBody = "{ 'userToken':'$userToken', 'tags': ['" + $tagJson + "'] }"
$tagData = (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri http://ourservice/api/v1/getTagData -Method POST -Body $reqBody -UseBasicParsing ).Content

$hashtable = @{}
(ConvertFrom-Json $tagData).psobject.properties | Foreach { $hashtable[$_.Name] = $_.Value }

$hashtableData = @{}
foreach ($prop in $hashtable['data'].PSObject.Properties)
{
	$hashtableData[$prop.Name] = $prop.Value[1]
}

Write-Host @"
<prtg>
<result>
<channel>Handles</channel>
<value>24</value>
</result>
<result>
<channel>clients</channel>
<unit>clients</unit>
<value>4</value>
</result>
<text>Hello</text>
</prtg>
"@

$revokeBody = "{ 'userToken':'$userToken' }"
$revokeResponse = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri http://ourservice/api/v1/revokeUserToken -Method POST -Body $revokeBody 

Created on May 10, 2018 10:46:19 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.