What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

connecting a remote WMI service sensor

Votes:

I try connect to a a remote server 2012r2. to monitor a services with a wmi sensor. I get the following errormessagae. TOctCheckWMIMetaBase.MetaWork: timeout while waiting in WorkEnter

- De remote server is reachable based on ip and dns name. - WMI tester gives no errors and all the services are shown - I selected the prtg sensor: WMI Service Sensor - the user to connect to the remote server is domain admin - it changed de user running the prtg services to domain admin - I use the latest Version 18.2.40.1683

Maybe, a basic, does I need a probe installed on the remote computer?

In advanced, thanks.

prtg remote sensors wmi

Created on May 14, 2018 8:37:18 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

All the necessary configuration steps have been taken care of (group memberships are a must, even for administrators)?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 14, 2018 8:36:47 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan, Thanks for the repsons but what do I need from your link: Necessary configurations steps? This point to another issue as far I see:

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1403-how-do-i-transfer-the-data-database-snmp-device-settings-from-one-pc-on-c-drive-to-new-server

Stephan, you point also to the group membership. Can you be some more accurate what you mean with this? Thanks.

Kind regards, Leo

Created on May 15, 2018 5:59:32 AM

Votes:

Hi Leo,

Sorry, but I indeed provided the incorrect link - here's the correct one. It contains all the necessary information.

Created on May 15, 2018 1:17:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.