What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

view syslog .evl file

Votes:

I use PRTG as syslog server and log data to disk how do I open .evl data file ? I try use notepad++ open there has many special character in .evl file can I converter to normal txt format ?

evl special-character syslog

Created on May 25, 2018 4:24:01 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

The .evl database files cannot be made readable or converted to just plaintext without much effort. Sorry!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 25, 2018 5:57:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can anyone help or suggest on .evl dB readable ways..

Created on Jul 2, 2018 4:45:06 PM

Votes:

Dear Rajesh,

There is no (and won't be) a seperate viewer for PRTGs .evl files. If you require to do further reporting on them, you might want to take a look at Splunk or Greylog.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 2, 2018 7:04:11 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Honestly, Paessler, how hard could it be to export the routines that read .evl files to a separate tool so stored .evl files can be parsed? After all, the core server has those routines to retrieve stored past messages on trap receivers, no? You provide a separate SNMP Tester tool, a certificate import tool, etc. so it should not be difficult for one of your devs to provide an unsupported tool that allows parsing of .evl files.

However, if you're not willing to provide such a tool, then please consider updating the PRTG web GUI so that I can enter a specific date to navigate to and retrieve the messages received on that day. Because right now, I'm asked to go back to a specific date and retrieve the sequence of traps around a specific time and all the web GUI allows me to do is navigate 50 messages at a time. I've been clicking-scrolling-clicking... for 2 minutes now and only moved back into the past messages by a few hours, so that approach is way too slow, especially if the trap-sending device was not properly configured and is sending loads of junk traps to PRTG...

Improvements would be much appreciated, thanks!

Created on Jul 2, 2019 1:48:20 PM

Votes:

BTW, nevermind my date range request for the web GUI, I found it under the filter section. That section was on the far right, outside of the visible screen area, so I missed it. Apologies!

However, a command line tool to export EVL to CSV would still be VERY VERY helpful. Thanks!

Created on Jul 2, 2019 2:10:26 PM

Votes:

Hi SwissJay,

Thanks for your input regarding the matter. Please feel free to create an official feature request for syslog interoperability: How Can I Propose New Features Or Sensors For PRTG

As of now, we're not really seeing an increased demand for reading the event logs, the votable feature request might change that. Thanks in advance for helping make PRTG a better product!

Regarding the tables and how they work, this is indeed one pain point, as per our roadmap. The real issue here is the backend, which doesn't deliver a proper output of the tables (i.e. one that could simply be evaluated by the frontend with a nice table solution). It's coming from the core as a pre-rendered HTML table and that's something we can't alleviate quick. But our web developers are more than eager to have this fixed. They're just waiting on their wings to have a nice backend (which is being worked on). Although I have no ETA for that one yet.

Best,
Stephan, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 3, 2019 8:48:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 3, 2019 8:49:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.