What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Installation of PRTG on Windows Server 2008 Core

Votes:

I tried to install PRTG on a Hyper-V Core installation but it failed saying a file was missing avifil32.dll. Also the Service didnt start.

Would it be possible for you guys to release a version that can be installed on Windows Core edition, please?

installation prtg windows-core

Created on Aug 22, 2010 10:04:44 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Note: For more information on why we do not officially support Windows Server Core installations, see Why does PRTG not officially support Windows Server Core installations?

Created on Jan 15, 2020 6:31:15 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

15 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Windows Core Edition is not supported by PRTG in the moment, nor is the support scheduled for a precise near future release. Please consider using a "normal" Windows 2008 (R2).

Best Regards.

Created on Aug 23, 2010 1:28:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just tried to install the latest 9.2 and the web server service starts and I can browse to it from a web browser, but the probe service doesn't start.

Is Hyper-V Core supported yet? :)

Created on Feb 15, 2012 8:24:10 PM

Votes:

This is still not officially supported. Can you manually try starting the Probe Service locally on the machine? If not, please try simply executing the "PRTG Probe.exe" from commandline.

Created on Feb 16, 2012 3:32:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I tried to start it from the service but it failed...

I tried to start it from the command prompt and got Traffic.dll not found :) At least I understand why now.

Created on Feb 16, 2012 3:39:05 PM

Votes:

This is actually a Windows System DLL. Please try running

sfc /scannow

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en-us

Created on Feb 16, 2012 4:38:04 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will it be possible to monitor Server 2008 Core using PRTG v12? We are very happy with PRTG overall but disappointed that Server Core has been unsupported thus far.

Created on May 21, 2012 11:23:38 PM

Votes:

We've tested PRTG 9 on Windows 2008 Core and we were able to install and run PRTG, so it did work, but Windows 2008 Core is still not officially supported (i.e. it may or may not work).

Created on May 22, 2012 12:54:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Note: For more information on why we do not officially support Windows Server Core installations, see Why does PRTG not officially support Windows Server Core installations?

Created on Jan 15, 2020 6:31:15 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Hello

Why can't I access the link posted "Why does PRTG not officially support Windows Server Core installations?" despite being logged in?

THanks

Created on May 22, 2020 7:29:56 AM

Votes:

Hello,

The link should actually work.

What error do you receive when you try to access the link?
Have you tried to login again into the KB?

Created on May 22, 2020 9:35:15 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I keep getting this when I click on that link.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access the requested resource.

Created on Jul 24, 2020 6:17:26 PM

Votes:

No, it simply says

Forbidden You don't have permission to access the requested resource.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 6:01:17 AM

Votes:

Thank you for the responses.

We have fixed the linked post, you should be able to now access it.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 7:36:55 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, still not working...

Created on Oct 7, 2020 7:19:43 AM

Votes:

Hello,

The linked post works properly now. However, you can try with the URL address right here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/87313-why-does-prtg-not-officially-support-windows-server-core-installations

Kind regards.

Created on Oct 7, 2020 7:44:59 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.