What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What alerts if the PRTG server goes down

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to know what some options are if either my PRTG server goes down, or the internet connections to my office go down.

I.E, If PRTG cannot contact me via email/push/etc, because of a failure, then what CAN contact me.

I considered that i can get an external service to try to "ping" my office. But to do this correctly i would have to expose my PRTG server, and it does not confirm that my email server, or Proxy is working. (I can get email alerts, and also push alerts, and also http sends to OpsGenie/PagerDuty)

Im thinking of an android phone sitting in the office testing connections to the PRTG server and also the internet, if there is a problem then it will send me a message (via http sends to OpsGenie/PageDuty)

The phone i plan using will be on the local wifi, and a mobile data connection, it also has a battery to handle power issues.

I am thinking about a program like Tasker or Automate, to check to see if i can see certain items on the LAN/WIFI, and I can see the internet (via the LAN/WIFI), If a combo of these failed then send a message to OpsGenie/PageDuty (WAN/Via Mobile Data)

Any thoughts about this? If there any better way to integrate it with PRTG?

Thanks

android notifications pagerduty

Created on Aug 6, 2018 12:38:43 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Andrew!

If you still want to be notified by PRTG despite an internet failure, a very good possibility is to use a hardware SMS gateway. Please find more information here:

Sending PRTG Notifications via SMSEagle SMS Gateway

To add another layer, you could also add another PRTG Freeware instance and monitor your main PRTG instance with it. Make sure to use the hardware SMS gateway for both instances.

I hope this helps :)

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 6, 2018 2:49:03 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 6, 2018 2:51:33 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Andreas,

Something like the SMS gateway came to mind, but there are a few issues with it, mainly that if the PRTG server fails for some reason (no i dont have a cluster) then it cannot send out messages.

I guess another instance of PRTG would be good, easy to setup and use, would have to be on a different host, and still have access to the same SMS gateway.

I will continue looking into a solution and post back here if its different than another PRTG instance.

Regards Andrew

Created on Aug 7, 2018 4:29:55 AM

Votes:

Hi Andrew,

Sure, just let us know :)

Thank you!

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 7, 2018 5:50:05 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.