What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco: only monitoring Interfaces with specific Interface Description

Votes:

Hi I'd like to Auto Discover and Monitor only Interfaces on my cisco switches witch I tag by the interface description.

Example: tag <MON>

interface FastEthernet0/1 description <MON> text --> Port monitored in PRTG

--

interface FastEthernet0/2 description text !--> Port not monitored in PRTG

--

Is there a way to do that?

Regards Andi

cisco description snmp tag

Created on Sep 17, 2018 12:11:48 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Andi,

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. As workaround you can try the following:

1. Navigate to the device settings (or group settings)
  2. Below "SNMP Compatibility Options" add [ifdescr] to the "Port Name Template"
  3. (Please also take a look at "Port Name Update")
    Now the Sensors will be displayed with the description in their name, so you can easily choose and/or delete them.

For any further questions or issues, we're glad to help.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 18, 2018 2:34:18 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yeah, that would be a great feature as most of the people just want to monitor important ports like switch - switch connections or interfaces connected to important devices like Storage, FW, server, ...

I know some use exactly that feature together with other solutions to define on the cisco device itself what interfaces they want to have monitored and which not.

regards dani

Created on Jun 28, 2019 3:46:02 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Feel free to open an official feature request, so other users can vote for this.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 1, 2019 1:49:29 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.