What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Community List

Votes:

Hello,

We manage a World wide network with several differents SNMP communities. I would like to ask if there is any way to list them all. I am trying to avoid spending a lot of time looking for each community - we have defined one per office and datecentre.

Thanks in advance

community community-name snmp snmpv2c strings

Created on Oct 8, 2018 12:32:56 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

What you mean is SNMP Sweeping what is actually not a good idea - it depends on the device security configuration and SNMP version if you find anything at all.

Even if you find communities, you can't be sure you find em all.

PRTG let's you configure branches like per remote office and set various credentials - one per branch - but you documentation and configuration of the devices needs to be set correct of course.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Oct 8, 2018 1:47:56 PM

Votes:

Additionally to what Florian said, there's no way to retrieve a list of those, as they're stored encrypted and are not exposable via API.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 8, 2018 6:12:47 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Florian, Stephan,

Firstly, thanks for your answers.

It is was not about SNMP Sweeping - or that it is not what I pretend. I need that list only for inventory purporse and docummentation. Before implementing some changes I need to know what are the communities currently used. Of course we can log in in every device or look for each community but I was just thinking about making it easier.

Thanks, Angela Fernandez

Created on Oct 9, 2018 7:53:39 AM

Votes:

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately, not via PRTG, as we consider these credentials and can't deliver them back easily.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 9, 2018 9:10:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.