What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IPMI sensor - allow local mode

Votes:

Hi,

I'd like request a feature change in the IPMI sensor to allow local mode.

The sensor uses ipmiutil utility to query the IPMI interface, but it is using only the network mode. It means that the PRTG_IPMI_Sensor.exe always passes the -N -A -P parameters to the ipmiutil with the data of the target server. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ipmiutil sensor -cg temp -N 192.168.0.253 -U Administrator -P xxx -F lan2 ipmiutil sensor version 3.13 Opening lanplus connection to node 192.168.0.253 ... -- BMC version 2.60, IPMI version 2.0 ID | SDRType | Type |SNum| Name |Status| Reading 0014 | Full | Temperature | 03 | 01-Inlet Ambient | OK | 24.00 C 0015 | Full | Temperature | 04 | 02-CPU | OK | 40.00 C 0016 | Full | Temperature | 05 | 03-P1 DIMM 1-2 | OK | 37.00 C ...

Why is it a problem? Well it's not a problem in itself, but it could be better. The best feature of the ipmiutil library is that it can use the local OS IPMI drivers to communicate. Why is it better than the network mode? Because it doesn't need login information and doesn't need target server IP, doesn't use the network, and (which is very annoying) doesn't spam the server logs with constant login-logout messages.

In local mode, it works just the same without giving any extra access parameters: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ipmiutil sensor -cg temp ipmiutil sensor version 3.13 -- BMC version 2.60, IPMI version 2.0 ID | SDRType | Type |SNum| Name |Status| Reading 0014 | Full | Temperature | 03 | 01-Inlet Ambient | OK | 24.00 C 0015 | Full | Temperature | 04 | 02-CPU | OK | 40.00 C 0016 | Full | Temperature | 05 | 03-P1 DIMM 1-2 | OK | 37.00 C ...

My request is to add a special case to the IPMI sensor: if the target is the probe server itself (where the ipmiutil executable is installed) then allow to use local mode instead of the default network mode.

feature-request ipmi ipmi-sensor ipmiutil sensor

Created on Oct 14, 2018 1:50:16 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for your detailed request.

I'd like to discuss this with our sensor developers, so please bear with.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 15, 2018 1:53:33 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Adam,

Sorry for kept you waiting. The request has been added to our internal to-do on updating the IPMI sensor. This decision might came quick but please don't expect the sensor to be updated within the next weeks, to be honest.

I am not able to tell when the new version will arrive, but be assured that your request took the first big step.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 16, 2018 8:09:28 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the fast positive reply.

I will have two more requests for the IPMI sensor developer guys :) I will open new questions for them during the week.

Created on Oct 16, 2018 9:25:30 AM

Votes:

Hi Adam,

You're welcome.

In case you plan to create additional feature requests for the IPMI sensors, please follow this guide on how to properly raise a feature request.
Yours was pretty good though, but please stick to this :)

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 16, 2018 11:46:18 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.